Is this a fossil?

Greyideas

I live in Washington, and have lived in Washington since 2017. I wanted to go fossil hunting around Sucia and other places but I am unable too right now. I was looking at marbles around my house, I found a few impressions in the rock that looked like fossils but they really were not. I then saw a stone that had an impression that looked like a fossil and was most convincing (at the time), but I have heavy doubts. Is it a fossil and if so what invertebrate (or even chordate) is it? 

sorry for the quality, I will take better pictures later

fosil image 3 fake or real one.JPG

fosil image 3 fake or real one.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

Topic moved to Fossil ID.

Given that there is no apparent urgency, the more prudent course of action would have been to wait to post until a suitable photo could be taken to accompany this ID request.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

BUT - given that you are a youth member, and recalling my own youth - distant as it is -  I appreciate your enthusiasm and understand your impatience to respond with your find.  So, no need to feel dissuaded about that, it's natural and expected.  Keep the enthusiasm going.

BTW, you are close to the a number of productive sites in MD and VA.  Search TFF for reports on these sites.  (PM me if you need more info on how to do the search.)

• I found this Informative 3

1 minute ago, grandpa said:

BUT - given that you are a youth member, and recalling my own youth - distant as it is -  I appreciate your enthusiasm and understand your impatience to respond with your find.  So, no need to feel dissuaded about that, it's natural and expected.  Keep the enthusiasm going.

BTW, you are close to the a number of productive sites in MD and VA.  Search TFF for reports on these sites.  (PM me if you need more info on how to do the search.)

Hear, hear!

1 hour ago, grandpa said:

BTW, you are close to the a number of productive sites in MD and VA.  

Actually, Sammamish is in Washington State on the west coast. Easy boo-boo to make though, we frequently get confused for the much less well known Washington DC. :whistle:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

:DOH:

8 minutes ago, daves64 said:

Actually, Sammamish is in Washington State on the west coast.

Thank you for the reminder that Washington is also a STATE and not just a District.  My short-sided jump to conclusions.  But the remainder of the comments remains without retraction.

Thanks again.

27 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Thank you so much. Oh, I live in state of Washington, not the east coast

If it were found on a bedding plane in a fresh split I would get really excited about the possibility of it being an insect. I'm afraid this is more likely a mineral stain in this circumstance though.

I would suggest finding more examples that prove me wrong.

While it does vaguely look like some kind of arthropod, the rock looks river worn, so I’d say it’s just a suggestively shaped mineral stain or inclusion.

I just wanted to share that I live in Tacoma Washington and there are not many fossils around this state because glacial and volcanic activity here. 

however I have managed to find a crab, sharks teeth, snails, bivalves e.g razor clams to scallops, palm leaves, sassafras leaves, alder, birch, tons of wood with termite holes, worm holes etc.

When I was 12 I really wanted to find fossils but I couldn't until I turned 18 because I had no way to get to them. The best way to fossil hunt is to have a car or someone who can take you to the site.
I'm only 20 now but I can tell you the last 2 years of having my own car have been very expensive gas wise and very rewarding fossil wise. 

best of luck!

Just now, Zenmaster6 said:

I just wanted to share that I live in Tacoma Washington and there are not many fossils around this state because glacial and volcanic activity here. 

however I have managed to find a crab, sharks teeth, snails, bivalves e.g razor clams to scallops, palm leaves, sassafras leaves, alder, birch, tons of wood with termite holes, worm holes etc.

When I was 12 I really wanted to find fossils but I couldn't until I turned 18 because I had no way to get to them. The best way to fossil hunt is to have a car or someone who can take you to the site.
I'm only 20 now but I can tell you the last 2 years of having my own car have been very expensive gas wise and very rewarding fossil wise. 

best of luck!

Thanks

3 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Whatever it may turn out to be it's a neat looking conversation piece.  Great find.

Thank you