Best material to preserv fossils on

ssimo

Hi, i collect fossils and other object such as Ancient artifacts, minerals, etc. My question is about preservation. I have a couple closets where i keep all my specimen in a temperature and humidity controlled envitoment (45-55 %), with no light. The closet is Made of cheap wood (bought from ikea) and, at the moment, my specimen just sit on the wood. I want my pieces to stay on a appropriate material, without the potential to affect the side it is touching in anyway. Do you think plexiglass would be better than wood? I know that some types of Plastic, often used in coin albums, can damage the coins, so i'm not sure Plastic materials are good to go. Cardboard is another option but it can contain humidity. Do you have any tip? 

P.s. I don't want to use vinavil or any other chemical on my fossils. Thank you everyone :)

Plexiglass [abbreviation PMMA, chemical name Poly (methyl methacrylate)] contains no plasticizers, is inert and stable against UV. It does not emit substances that can discolor or damage fossils. This should be a good choice.

Avoid Polyvinyl chloride (abbreviation PVC). This polymer can contain plasticizers and will turn yellow with time.

Thomas

Made out of PMMA:

vitrine.thumb.jpg.76622cd3c07df0dc89f3b3e12c5d8bd2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Just now, oilshale said:

Plexiglass [abbreviation PMMA, chemical name Poly (methyl methacrylate)] contains no plasticizers, is inert and stable against UV. It does not emit substances that can discolor or damage fossils. This should be a good choice.

Avoid Polyvinyl chloride (abbreviation PVC). This polymer can contain plasticizers and will turn yellow with time.

Thomas

Thank you very much thomas. Plexiglass seems to be the way to go. I Will probably buy some plexiglass boxes and a few plexiglass stands. Do you have any favourite brand of such products?

Simone

4 minutes ago, ssimo said:

... I Will probably buy some plexiglass boxes and a few plexiglass stands. Do you have any favourite brand of such products?

Simone

Sorry, no.

Twenty? years ago I worked for the chemical company that developed PMMA.
 PMMA can be milled, drilled, (hot) formed and glued with a special adhesive. PMMA is a good choice, but unfortunately also quite expensive.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Just now, oilshale said:

Sorry, no.

Twenty? years ago I worked for the chemical company that developed PMMA.
 PMMA can be milled, drilled, (hot) formed and glued with a special adhesive. PMMA is a good choice, but unfortunately also quite expensive.

Thank you so much for the informations. I'll look what there is in my local shop ;)