Question about dark fish fossils

Clay man

Hi all

In trying to build my collection(and knowledge), I am seeing one site in particular is selling fish fossils that does not really seem to be high quality, but it does look coloured. Especially one insect fossil looks quite badly drawn on. I own a few fossil fish and they all look sort of natural, these ones are particularly dark without a lot of fine detail.

Is there a method where the fossil gets coloured in order to bring it out, or should I steer clear? I do prefer to pay more for a higher quality fossil that looks natural.

Thanks guys.

I know that some fish fossils get painted to bring out detail. I am sure some fossils get painted for more nefarious reasons.:shakehead:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Yep, it's unfortunately common for fossils to be painted to drive up the value. Not too long ago a 'new species' of spider had to be stripped of its scientific name and description when it was discovered the supposed spider was actually a damaged crayfish. The farmers who found it thought it looked a bit like a spider so they painted some legs on it and managed to sell it to a university as a never before seen species.

I have found that painting seems to be a common practice for poor quality specimens. Either to hide the fact that few features are preserved, or to “enhance” what remains. I’m not a fan of it either way and would personally prefer no paint. Even on something a little lower in quality. 

I would steer clear if there is obvious paint, but sometimes you can remove the paint and come out with a decent fossil, other times there is so little preserved you can barely tell it’s a fish.

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Also, you should know that the color of the fossil varies dramatically from one species to another and from one location to another. If you are considering a purchase and would like the members who are familiar with fish fossils to comment, just post your question with a photo of the specimen in the appropriate thread.

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thanks guys, I will get my info together and some photos and hear some comments. It is always easier for me to make a good decision if I can see the fossils itself, and not just a photo.