Abbey Wood tips?

KingSepron

I’ve been to Abbey Wood twice now, but haven’t been able to find much, can anyone give any tips on where to go? Thanks!

Haven't ever been there in person, but I have received lots of material collected there by a friend. I think that's the key really, take a bag of material home and pick through it handful by handful. In a 2kg bag I was given, I've found countless great shells, probably close to 40/50 sharks teeth, lots of ray dermal denticles and fish verts. This website is also useful for identification (though I think some of the names are outdated)

http://www.trg.org/downloads/fossils of abbey wood.pdf

• I found this Informative 7

1 hour ago, Calli99 said:

Haven't ever been there in person, but I have received lots of material collected there by a friend. I think that's the key really, take a bag of material home and pick through it handful by handful. In a 2kg bag I was given, I've found countless great shells, probably close to 40/50 sharks teeth, lots of ray dermal denticles and fish verts. This website is also useful for identification (though I think some of the names are outdated)

http://www.trg.org/downloads/fossils of abbey wood.pdf

Thank you!

I have been to Abbey Wood a few times now. The best suggestion i can give you is to buy a big bucket and find a fine mesh sifter that fits inside that bucket, and a small hand trowel. Then you will need to fill up the bucket at the information office (there is a sink in the bathroom around the side of the office) and carry it over to the collecting area. It is a hard slog given the bucket weight, and the uphill walk, but there is no water tap on site and so this is the best way to manage with that. You will definitely find a lot more by wet sieving on-site. This is what i did and i was finding usually more than 5 shark teeth every sift i did, and after a few hours of sifting i brought home approx. 100 teeth every day. I think if you employ this approach rather than picking over the surface material or digging dry into the ground, you will find quite a lot! 

Link to the report from my trips- http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/81022-fossil-hunting-holiday-in-england-dec-2017/

The Abbey Wood stuff is near the top. 

• I found this Informative 4

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

The trick is sieving micromatrix and sorting it at home last trip in 3kg of matrix I found 30 ray teeth ~ 100 shark teeth

Countless shells a pearl and a rare mammal tooth

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks everyone, I’ve clearly been doing it wrong!

Next time i get a chance to go (i work 6 days a week) I will try out your guys tips. Thanks for the advice and happy hunting!

• I found this Informative 1

21 hours ago, KingSepron said:

Thanks everyone, I’ve clearly been doing it wrong!

Next time i get a chance to go (i work 6 days a week) I will try out your guys tips. Thanks for the advice and happy hunting!

Good luck:)

I am planning to go to Abbey Wood. 

Will probably when it gets warmer in the spring / early summer

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

2 hours ago, Yoda said:

It's the closest major fossil location to me, so I go every chance I get

1 hour ago, KingSepron said:

Tbh it’s not the sort of material that interests me. But I am keen to go and have a look anyway .

Unfortunately I have to travel far for finds in my areas of interest :DOH:

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/01/2020 at 3:00 PM, Yoda said:

On 23/01/2020 at 5:52 PM, KingSepron said:

im planning to go sometime in the future, maybe we could go as a group?

On 1/26/2020 at 5:10 PM, KingSepron said:

Thanks for the tips guys! Much better haul this time

Yup, some nice teeth there. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

5 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yup, some nice teeth there. :)

Since posting that I’ve accumulated some 70 sand shark teeth

14 hours ago, will stevenson said:

im planning to go sometime in the future, maybe we could go as a group?

Sounds like a plan.

Possibly when the weather warms up - End of April / May ??

2 hours ago, Yoda said:

Sounds like a plan.

Possibly when the weather warms up - End of April / May ??

Sounds good to me;)