Ruger9a

Size?

No locality info, huh? 

Anything else on the plate?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It is a blob on a pale rock that has mineral staining that makes it look like a smiley pumpkin. See it? For a more professional opinion, give us more info:)

• I found this Informative 1

Sorry, no.  I assume that's the reason I got the batch for a reasonable price.  If I remember correctly, I was told the original owner's wife said they were labeled at one time but they fell off.  I don't mean to make it difficult, I just don't have anything other than the 2008 Tucson show.

7 minutes ago, Scylla said:

It is a blob on a pale rock that has mineral staining that makes it look like a smiley pumpkin. See it? For a more professional opinion, give us more info:)

LOL,  I was thinking it looked like Richard Nixon....  Here are some photos of the whole plate.

20200119_083912 (2).jpg

11 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I'm thinking this might be a seed from Florissant.

With accompanying stick above it. 

Thank you Rockwood.  I really appreciate you taking the time to resolve this mystery. 

1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

resolve

Careful ! Resolve might be a tad final.

It looks to me as if a substantial portion of the body is missing. Context and general shape suggest seed or nut, but I'm not really qualified to call it an ID.

I understand.  Seed pod & branch is a major step in the right direction.  I will note that is possibly from the Florissant fossil beds of Colorado.  

Matrix and general preservation appears to be a good match for Florissant. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

If it's from Florissant, I'm going to suggest that the blob is a nugget of ash or pumice. Since the Florissant deposit was formed by volcanic action it is not uncommon to find these blobs in the shale. Most times it is concentrated as a layer though.  The color and texture is similar to those layers and I don't see any structures which suggest an organic origin.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks Dave.  Originally it did look more similar to Rockwood's sample but many movements over the years (before I started using Zip Lock bags) seems to have knocked some of the outer layer of the fossil off.  Every time I saw a fossil on the web that looked similar, out it came for comparison.  I gave up on being able to identify it a few years ago and was a little careless with the handling, do to my frustration I guess.  You can still see a very small piece of the outer seed pod(?) shell in the upper right hand of the photo. No sure it this info matters.

• I found this Informative 1

I thought I saw a small remnant of something more.

It complicates the issue that poorly preserved plant material is mixed in with the volcanic blobs.