Mosasaur Jaw - Real or fake

Righteous

I see these on auction sites and wonder if there even real? Size average is 7”x5”x2”

would be a nice display if real. Says they are from Morocco. 

7922B537-9B4C-4C27-B79C-E885AB99B54D.jpeg

Very fake..teeth are real and some bone added to replicate the jaw ..always avoid this shape of offering.  Fabricated in Moroccan fossil towns.

At Tucson Fossil Show.. hundreds are available by Moroccan tent dealer

Pueblo777.thumb.jpg.8db1429b792bc8efb812397f382a11e2.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

As fake as they get really. Mass produced.

Only the teeth are real.

What they do is they take real mosasaur teeth and put these on to pieces of local sediment like this, they take some random chunks of bone, these can be mosasaur, plesiosaur, fish or even recent bones and they glue this all together with glue and sand to make a "presentable" whole.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Fake. Now having said that I have one of these. I got it knowing it was fake but I got it cheap and I’m happy with it. I keep it in with my replica and casts. And i labeled it as fake. I got it for less then what the teeth alone would cost so if I ever decided to take it apart I would still come out ahead.

15 minutes ago, Randyw said:

if I ever decided to take it apart I would still come out ahead.

Ironically, you attempt to remove the teeth from the fake jaw bone only to find a real Mosasaur jaw underneath it all. :heartylaugh:

Really fake. Unfortunately, I fell for this when I was just starting out. I paid $60 for one of these fabrications thinking I got a good deal. Even though the teeth are real, there is usually lots of damage hidden behind the plaster. 

Zero attention to detail is put into making these "mosasaur jaws." Sometimes they don't even put mosasaur teeth in the molds. I think it's funny seeing all these Enchodus fangs lined up.  

Pueblo777.thumb.jpg.8db1429b792bc8efb812397f382a11e2.jpg.297ddee4602df59309680fcf8c6b9e7d.jpg

35 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Ironically, you attempt to remove the teeth from the fake jaw bone only to find a real Mosasaur jaw underneath it all. :heartylaugh:

Ha! I wish! But no not likely!

3B24EFD2-3538-403A-BF6D-770895AC0D78.jpeg

I heard a rumor that fake mosasaur jaws act like bath bombs if you drop them in the tub. Anyone want to test this out?

It’s false. They don’t fizz. But they do dissolve nicely and quickly. Unfortunately anything left from inside is incredibly fragile. I’ve taken a few with a tooth and matrix. Prepped out the tooth then dissolved the rest in water. Found some nice but fragile fish vertebrae that way

This is what scares me about buying a dinosaur tooth. Is it real or not and prices are all over the places in them. I want to add one to the collection just not sure what. 

6 minutes ago, Righteous said:

This is what scares me about buying a dinosaur tooth. Is it real or not and prices are all over the places in them. I want to add one to the collection just not sure what. 

That’s why you take a picture and post it on TFF first. ;)  Get some opinions before buying. We have a few people here who are very knowledgeable on such things. 

Hopefully the above is what just happened with your “mosasaur jaw”. :) 

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Those teeth mesh very nicely -- must have had a really good orthodontist. Hint. Way too pretty a smile. Check out some museum specimens for the ugly truth.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!