Self Adhering Wrap- Your hands will thank you!

FossilNerd

I use this self adhering elastic compression wrap for all kinds of stuff, but mainly to wrap handles when it comes to things fossil related. It is elastic and self cohesive. Nothing sticky to squeeze out onto your hand during use. It doesn’t loosen over time (that I have found) and it provides extra grip and cushion. Plus it’s cheap and easily replaced if worn or damaged. It also comes in a variety of colors. A bright color is great for helping to find a lost tool in the field. I use it on anything that may be in my hand for any length of time, and they thank me for it! ;) Pin vises, dental picks, hammer handles, to name a few.

It goes by many brand names and is used in the medical field, both human and animal. I have heard it generically referred to as vet/pet/horse wrap in the animal world, or self adhering compression bandage (or similar...) on the human medical side.

6D090000-FD22-4A67-A5CF-4ECDA5BA9886.thumb.jpeg.82e20b62607622a61b8daaabd9896e8c.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Great tip, Wayne! 

Thanks for posting this.  :SlapHands:

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

54 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great tip, Wayne! 

Thanks for posting this.  :SlapHands:

Glad to do it! I’ve been using the stuff for years. I just finished wrapping my new pin vise (pictured) and it hit me that others may find it useful. :) 

42 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Great idea! I’ll have to get some!

I think that you should be able to find it fairly easily, but if you have trouble, let me know. I can PM you brand names, where to buy it, etc. 

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Dang, I've been getting this stuff wrapped around my shot and IV procedures for a few years now and never thought of this application.  I'm going to use it immediately to hold the two halves of concretions, geodes, and thunder eggs together.  Great idea.  Thanks for sharing.

• I found this Informative 3

6 hours ago, grandpa said:

Dang, I've been getting this stuff wrapped around my shot and IV procedures for a few years now and never thought of this application.  I'm going to use it immediately to hold the two halves of concretions, geodes, and thunder eggs together.  Great idea.  Thanks for sharing.

Yep. That's probably the same stuff. I worked in a hospital setting for 16 years. I’ve been using it for all kinds of unintended purposes for a while now. ;) 

17 hours ago, grandpa said:

I'm going to use it immediately to hold the two halves of concretions, geodes, and thunder eggs together.  Great idea.  Thanks for sharing.

Note that this wrap sticks to itself, not to the surface it is contacting.  That means with a concretion/geode/thunder egg you can put a layer between the halves and keep them from grinding on each other, then wrap the two halves together tightly.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

On 1/19/2020 at 2:43 PM, FossilNerd said:

I use it on anything that may be in my hand for any length of time

This is great. I'm going to get some to wrap my ME9100 body. This should help reduce the amount of vibration transmitted to my hand whilst working for hours on end.