Peace River ID

marfijak

Made a quick trip to the peace river today near Bartow today. Nothing too crazy but did find two things that I need some help on. My best guess on the first one is dolphin / whale tooth, but I haven't found many of them and the crown is kind of weird... maybe broken and then smoothed over by the river? The second is a very small fossil. I have found very similar ones before but never bothered to get them ID'd. My best guess is some kind of small mammal tooth. It is so small that I couldn't get a great picture with my iphone. The ends of the fossil (not pictured) are zig zagged, carrying on the patter from the sides (kind of like horse teeth). Definitely not ray dental plate like I originally thought. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2762.JPG

I was out yesterday also.. Great day... sunshine and the temps are about to drop.

The tooth is marine mammal... Might be this, but hard to tell.  Must get a clear photo of the tip.

The 2nd is broken ray tooth, a more unusual one than normal. Think of the middle section of this one.post-2220-0-50130000-1305214190.jpg.270120c4076bbc43833373a372104983.jpg

Bartow... in 10 years, I have tried to hunt there, but always unsuccessful.  Nice haul !!!

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks for the reply. I’m going to have to find someone with a better camera to get a close up pic of the second object’s ends. The straight lines like those on a ray plate don’t carry over to the ends. Instead it’s a zigzag pattern almost like I’ve seen on some capybara teeth. Of course I could be mistaken but I’ve never seen a ray plate with this pattern.

These pics are a little better, still not great but maybe they can help. Like I said I am still learning so I could definitely be wrong but I’ve never seen a ray plate that has an end like this. 

4E41FAA2-154B-4235-831A-4881FFD4D0E2.png

8158929E-3733-4A3E-9C91-5DB29F1F0CED.png

2 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

The 2nd is broken ray tooth, a more unusual one than normal. Think of the middle section of this one.post-2220-0-50130000-1305214190.jpg.270120c4076bbc43833373a372104983.jpg

Probably a part of Aeobatus (A. arcuatus ?) http://users.skynet.be/belgiansharkteeth/Pliocene/Ray/Rays neogene.html

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

5 hours ago, marfijak said:

These pics are a little better, still not great but maybe they can help. Like I said I am still learning so I could definitely be wrong but I’ve never seen a ray plate that has an end like this. 

8158929E-3733-4A3E-9C91-5DB29F1F0CED.png

Much better photos:.  This last one is either a true dolphin ( @Boesse) or a feline incisor ( @Harry Pristis) either of which is pretty rare find...

Now the vole teeth I have never found OR, have never recognized in my sieve... Some very rare items. :fistbump:

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 1/20/2020 at 4:47 PM, marfijak said:

@Shellseeker Thank you for the help! 

Here is one more picture showing the groove in the middle of the crown.

BDEC290A-1654-44C4-90D6-F8AEE43C8EC9.jpeg

This one is for sure a lower lateral incisor of some kind of carnivore. Don't know typical big cat incisors from the Florida Pleistocene, but I can confirm that pinnipeds, bears?, and canids have incisors in this general shape.

• I found this Informative 1

On 1/20/2020 at 4:47 PM, marfijak said:

@Shellseeker Thank you for the help! 

Here is one more picture showing the groove in the middle of the crown.

BDEC290A-1654-44C4-90D6-F8AEE43C8EC9.jpeg

See this thread for a Jaguar Incisor...

@Boesse @Shellseeker

Thank you so much for the insight! Shellseeker, I saw another post you made with a cat incisor that looked similar as well. I'll have to do some more digging to see if I can identify it any further. I am a high school biology teacher and our current unit is evolution / evidence for it. The kids will definitely like this one. 

8 minutes ago, marfijak said:

@Boesse @Shellseeker

Thank you so much for the insight! Shellseeker, I saw another post you made with a cat incisor that looked similar as well. I'll have to do some more digging to see if I can identify it any further. I am a high school biology teacher and our current unit is evolution / evidence for it. The kids will definitely like this one. 

Well, you will likely find this post very interesting. I will repeat that the fossil incisor being identified was found by my fossil hunting friend.