OTS Stabilization Products, Polymers + Organic Solvents

JSMOSBY

After reading many of the relevant posts about various methods, processes and constituents in preservative stabilizers I can't help but wonder why commercial OTS (off the shelf) wood preservatives aren't recommended.  They contain polymers such as ABS and styrene dissolved in organic solvents i.e. acetone, MEK, toluene and others to apply to deteriorated rotted soft wood to harden and bond fibers just as we want to do with fossils and bone.  I believe Formby's is one manufacturer and maybe Minwax.  Search the web and purchase at the local hardware store, Home Depot or Lowe's.  Readily available and inexpensive.  Please comment.  I'd be interested in your thoughts and experiences with these products.

ABS is a very versatile polymer, but due to the butadiene content, ABS becomes yellow (and somewhat brittle) with time under UV exposure. Therefore pigments must be added to the formulation.

Did you check the MSDS? There might be some biocides added.

• I found this Informative 3

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

No, I did not check either the MSDS or SDS (Safety Data Sheet).  I was concerned about the UV interaction as usual with one of the polymer components which you addressed initially.  Thank you.

OTS products are not recommended for several reasons. The first is longevity. Products that use a chemical reaction to cure have a lifespan and will become brittle, shrink, or otherwise degrade over time. Secondly, OTS products do not have to list their ingredients so you don’t know what your putting on the fossil and what it will do over time. Conservation plastics like Paraloid, Butvar, and Vinac have known properties and proven long term stability.

• I found this Informative 1