My fav favosite

Chris33

Nice specimen.  However, it is definitely not precambrian.  Where did you find it?  That should help narrow down the actual age.

Don

It’s from south wester Ontario. In Arkona Ontario. If not Precambrian what do you think? It’s a great piece thank you. Huge and heavy and well detailed all around. 

I suspected it was from Arkona.  The coral horizon there is the Hungry Hollow member of the Widder Formation, which is Middle Devonian.  There are no colonial corals, and indeed no corals with calcified skeletons at all, in the Precambrian.  So-called "honeycomb corals" (so named because of the hexagonal corallites) do not enter the fossil record until the Ordovician.

I have taken the liberty of adjusting your tag to "Devonian".  If users of the web site were to search for Precambrian fossils, yours would show up and could mislead users who are not familiar with Arkona or the fossil history of corals.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

That's a lovely specimen. 

The cross-section showing the tabulae is super.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It’s all around a great specimen and the rose coloured hues that are left in those tabulae are quite nice. Is there a safe substance I could put on it like a lacker that would really bring colours out as if it appeared permanently wet? I’d hate to wreck the integrity of her but just a thought