Stegonick23

Smithsonian Natural History Museum: Fossil Hall, Dinosauria

Bobby Rico

Nice report and thank you. I will show this thread to Mrs R because she said next time we are in NY we will have a couple of day in Washington’s Smithsonian .Really good photos too.

Cheers Bobby 

jpc

I was there over Xmas.  Great new displays... I really like it.  I even found a fossil on display that I had done some prep on.  There is a big palm leaf from Alaska high up on a wall in the Eocene section (I am pretty sure).  Hope to post a photo later.  

Stegonick23
1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Nice report and thank you. I will show this thread to Mrs R because she said next time we are in NY we will have a couple of day in Washington’s Smithsonian .Really good photos too.

Cheers Bobby 

No problem at all! I definite recommend you visit, the mammalian and reptile sections of the new hall are also amazing, and if it's your first time visiting the museum, there's a modern mammal hall, and a marine hall with some marine reptile stuff. Upstairs there's an entire wing dedicated to geology as well (make sure you check out the florescent mineral section, I used to live near the Franklin mine where a lot of the specimens on display are from). Have a good rest of your week!

Stegonick23
53 minutes ago, jpc said:

I was there over Xmas.  Great new displays... I really like it.  I even found a fossil on display that I had done some prep on.  There is a big palm leaf from Alaska high up on a wall in the Eocene section (I am pretty sure).  Hope to post a photo later.  

No way! I'm pretty sure I know the piece, is it like 10ish ft tall (rough estimate from memory)? It's a pretty amazing fossil, and I think just the fact it's on display speaks for itself. Next time I visit I'll be sure to check it out again/look at it in greater detail. Thanks!

Randyw

Great photos! Looks a lot different then when I was there in the early 70s! Thanks for posting!

FossilNerd

Awesome pics! Thanks for showing them to us. Very cool place. My son actually gets to visit in a month or so. Unfortunately I don’t get to go with him. :( 

grandpa

Thanks so much for the tour.  It's been many a year since I've had the opportunity to visit and a lot has changed since then.  It was good to visit again thru your eyes.  Thank you.

Troodon

Great tour thanks for the photos.  Definitely a must visit next time I'm back east.  Thanks for specifics locality and species ID..a good touch.

Stegonick23
16 hours ago, Randyw said:

Great photos! Looks a lot different then when I was there in the early 70s! Thanks for posting!

15 hours ago, grandpa said:

Thanks so much for the tour.  It's been many a year since I've had the opportunity to visit and a lot has changed since then.  It was good to visit again thru your eyes.  Thank you.

It's no problem at all! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Stegonick23
15 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Awesome pics! Thanks for showing them to us. Very cool place. My son actually gets to visit in a month or so. Unfortunately I don’t get to go with him. :( 

No problem at all! Hopefully you get to see it first hand one day. I would suggest that your son takes a camera with a lot of storage to get a ton of pictures of everything so you can see after his trip. Here's a floor plan of the museum so you can point him to some key area's you want to see. 

https://naturalhistory.si.edu/visit/map

Stegonick23
14 hours ago, Troodon said:

Great tour thanks for the photos.  Definitely a must visit next time I'm back east.  Thanks for specifics locality and species ID..a good touch.

@Troodon It's no problem at all! Your original post with a sneak peak at some of the fossils inspired me to do a full tour. I'm glad I added in the localities and specific I.D.s, it was some good practice as I'm still trying to learn names and localities of some major species and families. I also picked up The Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs: Second Edition in the gift store and I'm going to try and read a couple pages each night, just glancing through it looks like there's an immense amount of info on an uncountable number of species. Thanks for taking a look!

fossilsonwheels

Great post. Those are some impressive fossils and well done displays 

Tidgy's Dad

Thanks for posting all these wonderful photos :)@Stegonick23

And @jpc , how utterly wonderful.:)

Ludwigia

I'll second what Adam says.

Shortbus4x4

My daughter had a 7th/8th grade week long field trip to DC in April 2018 and I got to go as a chaperone.  The fossil wing was under construction then, they had just a few smaller ones displayed.  We were both very disappointed.  Looks spectacular, I'll try to get back there with her soon.

va paleo
On 1/20/2020 at 2:42 PM, Stegonick23 said:

Stegoceras validum

that a cast right if i'm not i think it is