snakebite6769

Looking for assistance in Calvert Cliffs

Fossildude19

Ouch! 

Sorry about your leg, Rob! 

Hope you are on the mend. 

I'm confident someone will be able to chip in and help! 

:fingerscrossed:

Ash

Crutches, hobble, hop! You can do it!

caldigger

Tape a heavy duty trashbag around the cast and you're good to go. :D

snakebite6769

I would tip over with my luck lol. I’m non weight bearing currently so I can’t climb over branches or things sadly. Spiral fracture. Wait until someone finds my fossil...part metal lol. I’m slowly on the mend Tim, thanks.

7B0696B8-C300-49C4-80CF-C433EFABEBB6.thumb.jpeg.089e0efa750a68a6970c17252f7f74a6.jpeg

Fossildude19

That looks painful! :sick:  :shakehead:

snakebite6769

It was very painful. But it was my first time getting staples, put under, and having surgery. 

the dig has been postponed temporarily due to the weather. I am in contact with the curator and lead excavation person so as I find out more I will post it on here. 

snakebite6769
11 hours ago, caldigger said:

Tape a heavy duty trashbag around the cast and you're good to go. :D

They stuck me in a giant moon boot. I guess they are using casts at their own discretion, that way I can take the boot off and wash to avoid bacteria and infection. 

caldigger
17 minutes ago, snakebite6769 said:

that way I can take the boot off and wash to avoid bacteria and infection. 

What good is a wound if you don't tempt infection?

Sheesh, what is the medical world coming to these days?! :mellow:

Kane

Ouch! Sorry to hear/see that, Rob. :( Give yourself all the time you can to mend. The only silver lining is that it is winter, so if you were going to be placed on the DL, best that it didn't happen in high collecting season in our part of the world! 

snakebite6769
4 minutes ago, Kane said:

Ouch! Sorry to hear/see that, Rob. :( Give yourself all the time you can to mend. The only silver lining is that it is winter, so if you were going to be placed on the DL, best that it didn't happen in high collecting season in our part of the world! 

At least it happened at work so I’m still getting paid. And that’s True Kane! Not peak fossil collecting or metal detecting season. Hoping to be healed before then 

snakebite6769
2 hours ago, caldigger said:

What good is a wound if you don't tempt infection?

Sheesh, what is the medical world coming to these days?! :mellow:

Well after my dads surgery went south and he had to have his leg amputated I’d rather not tempt the issue lol. 

Ludwigia

I wish you a good recovery. Can't the excavators themselves take turns making video shots just in case you haven't found someone yet?

snakebite6769
18 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I wish you a good recovery. Can't the excavators themselves take turns making video shots just in case you haven't found someone yet?

Thanks for the well wishes. The lead excavation person said he could send a couple pictures. I would like to give someone else the opportunity that was given to me due to my circumstances, and hope another opportunity comes up. I had planned to use my GoPro and film it so my children could use it for school science reports and such. 

snakebite6769

The excavation is postponed until next week. Will post further updates as I know more. 

Tidgy's Dad

Good luck.:d_good_luck:

Hope you can heal quickly enough to go yourself and, failing that, that you find someone to film it.

Life can be cruel sometimes. 

snakebite6769
On 1/24/2020 at 7:07 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Good luck.:d_good_luck:

Hope you can heal quickly enough to go yourself and, failing that, that you find someone to film it.

Life can be cruel sometimes. 

Indeed it can! Good news is the area of the cliff that is to be exposed and excavated is stable and they have people checking on it frequently, and they are willing to wait for my presence if I am able to. If not I’m more than happy to share with others :) 

smt126

They stapled that fracture? I don't think I've ever seen anyone staple that distal of a wound.

minnbuckeye

@smt126

On 1/20/2020 at 7:33 PM, snakebite6769 said:

7B0696B8-C300-49C4-80CF-C433EFABEBB6.thumb.jpeg.089e0efa750a68a6970c17252f7f74a6.jpeg

His Xray shows a metal plate was used for fracture stabilization and the incision created in the skin to provide access was "stapled" shut.

snakebite6769

Yes they stapled both incisions closed. No stitches, and metal plate with screws to stabilize the bones in hopes they will heal properly aligned. 3715BB25-6A9C-4A09-830E-7B27886903DB.thumb.jpeg.cc61a60f1e0072f2578df3d6b534ec84.jpeg

Ruger9a

Based on what I'm seeing, I would strongly suggest you heed your doctor's advice and keep off it.  Someone will post something I'm sure.  Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Northern Neck

Ouch man! Get well soon! Doesnt look like a quick heal so keep off that for awhile 

smt126

@minnbuckeye yea I just meant most people suture versus staple a distal tib/fib fracture incision. Also I agree, best to avoid going down there.

Yoda

Sorry to hear. 

I bust my arm last November and I am far from healed. 

It's a slow, painful process and something that can't be rushed. In fact, if you try push yourself too soon, as I did, you will just "go backwards" and take longer to heal. 

Troodon

Definitely ouch, speedy recovery and be careful you need that leg the rest of your life.

Hey great find, who is doing the excavation the Calvert Museum?