Shark Teeth Hunting at the Museum

White Feather

Some of us will do anything to sit and sift for shark teeth, ray teeth and fossils. Temp was good today 1-20-2020 so I headed to Mulberry Phosphate Museum. Some of us are older and not in the best of health so we go where we can to enjoy the hunt!  Its a great place to meet families with kids and talk about hunting and more. I had just mentioned to one of the Mothers how great it would be if the Phosphate Mine would bring some larger teeth and such and mix in with the small rocks, reason is the rocks and all through a crusher and are all small so many shark teeth are very small and others are broken as you see in my finds today.

An older Gentleman walked up by the name of James and he had with him a bag or large and small shark teeth, come to find out, he use to work for the mines. He comes to the rock pile and hides some larger ones for the people to find. Today he gave me and 2 of the young boys some great ones! They are not in the picture. 

Something to think about, if anyone has places disabled people can go and hunt it would be a great add on to this site. So many of us still enjoy the hunt but are not able to do a lot of walking and bending. Just a thought. 

Blessings when you hunt!

Deb

shark teeth and ray teeth 1 20 2020.jpg

rock pile smaller.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

The piles in your picture look just like the matrix I have collected before it is washed. :D

20200120_181241.jpg

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

10 hours ago, White Feather said:

So what do you do with your rocks you wash?

OK, I shovel the bulk matrix from the bone layer sediments, screen it down to between minus 1/4" and plus window screen (20 mesh ).  It gets washed several separate times ( this usually takes about a week of soaking and washing cycles ), dried, goes for a Hydrogen Peroxide soak for about 24 hours, rinsed and dried again. It is now ready for trade fodder.

FROM THIS...

20200121_183434.jpg

TO THIS!

20200121_181844.jpg

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

There are already fossils in it. 

They are micro-fossils. ;) 

He trades the micro-matix . 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Here is an example.

Last night, I poured out a handful 

20200121_191147.jpg

And sorted through it. This is what I just picked out without the use of magnification.

20200121_190948.jpg

If I were to go through it with some good magnification, I will easily get many times this in smaller fossils.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 1/20/2020 at 5:58 PM, White Feather said:

Today he gave me and 2 of the young boys some great ones! They are not in the picture. 

Let's see them then! :popcorn:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thank you for showing me what you do with the matrix. I am learning a lot! I love picking through the rocks and find very small fossils I keep also, then I wash the rocks and they go into my pots I plant in..:thumbsu: 

The picture below shows the gift from James Gant who is bringing larger teeth to the pile for kids and us adults to enjoy finding but since we were there when he came, he gave us some. You never find anything this large because of the rocks going through the grinders at the Phosphate Mine.

teeth from James Gant.jpg

You gotta love those white rooted ones that are found at phosphate deposits.

The color contrasts are always so stunning! :)

20200123_105054.png

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

6 hours ago, caldigger said:

You gotta love those white rooted ones that are found at phosphate deposits.

The color contrasts are always so stunning! :)

I agree! That is a beautiful tooth @White Feather :wub:

On 1/20/2020 at 8:58 PM, White Feather said:

Some of us are older and not in the best of health so we go where we can to enjoy the hunt! 

Some people who can’t get out and hunt on their own, or dig up micro-matrix by themselves, will buy it from someone who can. Let the more able bodied do the hard work! Then you get to sit and hunt from your easy chair! :D 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)