BobWill

This tooth came from the Finis Shale at Jacksboro Texas. That's in the Virgil Series, Cisco Group, Graham Formation, Late Pennsylvanian.

It seems large for Orodus variabilis and has some extra odd protrusions on the lingual side that don't match the smaller ones I usually find. Is there another species we can find there or is this normal? @JGM

a2932.jpg

b13_30_Pro.jpg

c16_07_Pro.jpg

d0816.jpg

e49_26_Pro.jpg

f47_27_Pro.jpg

i54_29_Pro.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

I have one roughly the same size from Jacksboro as well, will have to send you pictures once I get ahold of it again. 

6 hours ago, BobWill said:

This tooth came from the Finis Shale at Jacksboro Texas. That's in the Virgil Series, Cisco Group, Graham Formation, Late Pennsylvanian.

It seems large for Orodus variabilis and has some extra odd protrusions on the lingual side that don't match the smaller ones I usually find. Is there another species we can find there or is this normal? @JGM

Bob, I have what looks to be some Orodus teeth as well but am not sure. Could I send you some photos for verification?

4 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Bob, I have what looks to be some Orodus teeth as well but am not sure. Could I send you some photos for verification?

Sure, or you can just post them on this sub-forum and let the real experts have a go.

1 hour ago, BobWill said:

Sure, or you can just post them on this sub-forum and let the real experts have a go.

Thanks Bob, I didn't want to distract from your original post.  Since it's OK with you, here they are.  Am I barking up the wrong tree?

20200121_060143 (2).jpg

20200121_060241 (2).jpg

20200121_060259 (3).jpg

20200121_060420 (2).jpg

20200121_060441 (2).jpg

20200121_060501 (2).jpg

18 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Thanks Bob, I didn't want to distract from your original post.  Since it's OK with you, here they are.  Am I barking up the wrong tree?

20200121_060143 (2).jpg

20200121_060241 (2).jpg

20200121_060259 (3).jpg

20200121_060420 (2).jpg

20200121_060441 (2).jpg

20200121_060501 (2).jpg

Do all the “peaks” have the net like texture? They sort of look like the nodes of a coiled cephalopod with encrusting bryozoa. What are they composed of? Cephalopod fragments should fizz in acid since they are calcium carbonate. Teeth should not fizz in acid. If the net like pin prick texture extends into the center of the structure then they might be teeth.

Better close up pictures of the surface of the fossils will help us determine what they are.

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

4 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Do all the “peaks” have the net like texture? They sort of look like the nodes of a coiled cephalopod with encrusting bryozoa. What are they composed of? Cephalopod fragments should fizz in acid since they are calcium carbonate. Teeth should not fizz in acid. If the net like pin prick texture extends into the center of the structure then they might be teeth.

Better close up pictures of the surface of the fossils will help us determine what they are.

That was my first impression as well.

Don

I haven't done any prep on these.  Should I soak them in vinegar, I don't have any Muriatic acid.  Or just take close up photos?

52 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

I haven't done any prep on these.  Should I soak them in vinegar, I don't have any Muriatic acid.  Or just take close up photos?

Put a drop or two of vinegar on them as a test to see if they fizz. Then take better close up photos. 

What do you see with a lens? Does the pin prick net like texture occur on all nodes? Does the texture extend thru the structure?

• I found this Informative 1

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thats a gorgeous big tooth, it does look like Orodus variabilis. Not sure about your specimens @Ruger9a where they are broken there doesnt appear to be the dentine tubules you would expect to see in the cross section of a Holocephalan tooth crown.

I'm really dreading this......but I took more photos to try and help with the identification.  I just cannot seem to take good photos.  Oh, I soaked them in 100% white vinegar for 30 minutes and the "humps" did not have any reaction.  There was tiny, tiny fizzing on the flat part and around the ends for a few minutes.   Here goes.

20200121_142528 (2).jpg

20200121_142538 (2).jpg

20200121_142612 (2).jpg

20200121_142642 (2).jpg

20200121_142654 (2).jpg

tooth 1 (4).jpg

tooth 1 tip (3).jpg

20200121_142718 (2).jpg

20200121_142759 (2).jpg

tooth 2 (4).jpg

tooth end (3).jpg

tooth hump1 (2).jpg

tooth hump1a (2).jpg

A mystery. Lack of fizzing in acid, dark coloration and textures does look like teeth or bone material. Now we need some more info to help with ID.

Where did these come from? Age? Jacksboro? @Ruger9a

That piece kind of reminds me of a lungfish tooth.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

17 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

A mystery. Lack of fizzing in acid, dark coloration and textures does look like teeth or bone material. Now we need some more info to help with ID.

Where did these come from? Age? Jacksboro? @Ruger9a

All I have was a description stating "nice teeth from Texas", sorry.