I went back to my very productive Devonian Martin Formation and Mississippian Escabrosa Formation near Superior, Arizona to retrieve my large single crinoid head fossil. 

Amazing Arizona Adventure original post link

E91AFC3F-09E0-4325-A4CB-1751284186DC.jpeg

After some acid prep four crinoids and one blastoid were clustered together. Currents probably sorted them by size and shape. 

9B86642D-558D-4B34-8E93-0B148C69EB48.jpeg

Several more hours of acid prep made the remaining four best ones stand out. I had to carefully break away pieces of shell that adhered and covered the crinoids and blastoid. Careful monitoring of their progress prevented any of them falling off the matrix.

2D256CB9-729A-494F-8B35-CDEEDC8CC5BD.jpeg

The resulting piece is probably the finest crinoid and blastoid assemblage ever found in Arizona. Finding one crinoid or blastoid cast in Arizona is very hard let alone four or five together. The two largest crinoids in the center and left are likely Physetocrinus lobatus. The upper right is an Orophocrinus saltensis blastoid. The lower right is an unknown crinoid. (Any idea what it is?) The field of view is about 7.5 cm wide.

Keep looking for updates as I prep and post more fossils. I found several loose crinoid heads.

• I found this Informative 13

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

nice, what kind of acid do you use on them?

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

2 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

nice, what kind of acid do you use on them?

Muriatic AKA HCl acid. The people at the hardware store must think that I have a really large pool with all the acid that I buy from them. 

• I found this Informative 2

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

be careful with the acid

don't drop it

I never drop it. When I spill it I always have lots of water nearby to dilute it.

Awesome find and fantastic prep work.  Do you neutralize the Muriatic acid on the fossil with a liquid solution of baking soda and then rinse thoroughly or just rinse? 

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Congrats on that unique find. Are the fossils silicified?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

Awesome find and fantastic prep work.  Do you neutralize the Muriatic acid on the fossil with a liquid solution of baking soda and then rinse thoroughly or just rinse? 

I just soak in fresh water for a period at least twice as long as it was in the acid changing the water a couple of times. Often the acid solution has been neutralized by the limestone when I take the fossil out. Soaking in water gets rid of the salt, calcium chloride. Insufficient soaking produces fossils that grow lots of needle like crystals.

• I found this Informative 3

35 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Yes.

I just soak in fresh water for a period at least twice as long as it was in the acid changing the water a couple of times. Often the acid solution has been neutralized by the limestone when I take the fossil out. Soaking in water gets rid of the salt, calcium chloride. Insufficient soaking produces fossils that grow lots of needle like crystals.

Thanks!

How much do you dilute the acid?  HCL is pretty harsh compared to acetic or formic acid, unless it is diluted a lot.

Don

Very cool looking Crinoids. Some of the detail is very nice too. 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

7 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

How much do you dilute the acid?  HCL is pretty harsh compared to acetic or formic acid, unless it is diluted a lot.

Don

Starting with a 29% solution, I dilute it to a 10-20% solution. If the fossil is fragile, I use a lower concentration of acid to prevent concussion fracturing from the bubbles forming and popping. The biggest problem with the higher concentration solutions is from overtopping the container from the vigorous bubbles and organic slime from the limestone.

• I found this Informative 2

Very nice prep work and awesome find, John!

Thanks for posting it!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me