How do you choose?

Yoda

10 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Or flip a coin and if your are unhappy with the outcome. There is your answer. :)

You can always blame the coin! :heartylaugh:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I like them both. I would probably go with the second one. Like you said in the original post, there's no right answer.

On 23/01/2020 at 12:46 AM, Righteous said:

Just a excuse to buy the other one then

That's the problem....if only that was an option :whistle:

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Something I appreciate much in fossils and minerals is what I call "gestalt",  the appearance of being a whole grown thing rather than a slab cut out of something.

(I don think either of your two are cut slabs, just talking about subjective appearance)

Thatś of course only an answer to your question about other peoples preferences.

Best regards.

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Question:

Do you like examining fossils in detail?

Or do you more like looking at them in your display without handling (and maybe occasionally from some distance)?

(Personally, I like both kinds of examination and so I would need both specimens :D, one for the drawer and one for display. Fortunately, I collect everything myself and I have both :D)

Franz Bernhard

2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Question:

Do you like examining fossils in detail?

Or do you more like looking at them in your display without handling (and maybe occasionally from some distance)?

(Personally, I like both kinds of examination and so I would need both specimens :D, one for the drawer and one for display. Fortunately, I collect everything myself and I have both :D)

Franz Bernhard

I try and handle my fossils as little as possible

So I would say - majority at a distance 

• I found this Informative 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

12 hours ago, Yoda said:

majority at a distance

The bold word is your problem ;). You really need two specimens, there is no other solution: A large one with good contrast to recognize the overall shape easily from a distance (to trigger our pattern recognition system, your mind will automatically fill in some details). And perhaps a very small, maybe partial one with fine details... ;)

Here is my new "pattern recognition rudist display" , all self collected from July 2019 onwards:
Display_2nd2019.jpg.0b3f13e74253e645f5e31e72fa2c033b.jpg

Distance between the outermost specimens is about 70 cm. Very poor pic, but you can still recognize the patterns ;). The two specimens to the left do not really trigger (they are essentially indistinct blobs from a distance) and are less then optimal for display. I think, I will remove them. Probably also the specimens in the background, but they don´t disturb in person.

Franz Bernhard

I doubt our opinion would help you decide between fossils as we base our choices on the educational value, what will get kids attention and our budget. Everybody is going to have their own preferences and reasons for choosing a fossil. 

I go with quality unless the size makes the fossil unique (very large or very small).  I also try to buy one very nice fossil rather than half a dozen average ones... over the years it has made my collection more manageable and more impressive in my opinion.

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2020 at 4:44 AM, Yoda said:

I have a question, for which there is no right or wrong answer. 

And I do realise that it's very personal. 

But when faced with choosing to buy a fossil out of a batch, and there is a fair amount of variation, how do you choose which one to go for?

A smaller specimen with more detail? Or larger with less detail?

I would be interested to hear opinions.

Well for me,  quality vs quantity is very well intermixed !

It all depends on what you're buying. To say a smaller specimen has better detail vs a larger specimen is kind of false, you will not know this until you compare both & a larger specimen may offer more detail since larger, or not ?

I also believe for some items you can not have quality without having quantity of that item !