Fruit seed pod or stem cross section?

Ruger9a

Good morning all.  I have a fossil that was identified as "plant cross section(?) from Green river".  I'm wondering if it's actually a fruit seed pod similar to Bonanzacarpum spungerorum species.  It has similar form and shape.  I applied a lite coat of easily removeable wax for protection.

20200121_053520 (2).jpg

20200121_053351 (2).jpg

20200121_053724 (2).jpg

From the images I see on line I would stay with stem. The conducting tissues/structures being the distinction.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks guys.  The only reason I posted this today was because of the post by doushantuo (additions to paleocarpological knowledge:The Eocene) this morning.  They looked so similar and my fossil does not exit the back of the plate which lead me to hope this was an reasonable identification.   Shooting for the moon I guess.

Just now, Ruger9a said:

Thanks guys.  The only reason I posted this today was because of the post by doushantuo (additions to paleocarpological knowledge:The Eocene) this morning.  They looked so similar and my fossil does not exit the back of the plate which lead me to hope this was an reasonable identification.   Shooting for the moon I guess.

I think you may have actually hit the moon here... 

Searching for green in the dark grey.

3 minutes ago, paleoflor said:

I think you may have actually hit the moon here... 

It's not the first time and probably won't be the last.  We can all hope for an identification for a suspect fossil, right?  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

From the images I see on line I would stay with stem. The conducting tissues/structures being the distinction.

Thanks again Rockwood.  I suspected this fossil as being labeled incorrectly because of the shape of the stem and the lack of protrusion on the reverse side. I will leave it as labeled.

14 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

I will leave it as labeled.

Pity, because I think you might be correct with Bonanzacarpum, which can display sixfold symmetry similar to your specimen. Your observation that the "stem" does not extend to the backside of the plate also supports your ID... 

1 minute ago, paleoflor said:

Pity, because I think you might be correct with Bonanzacarpum, which can display sixfold symmetry similar to your specimen. Your observation that the "stem" does not extend to the backside of the plate also supports your ID... 

Thank you Paleoflor.  I mistook your response.  I will complete some additional research to confirm.  I was so sure about this ID after seeing doushantuo's post this morning.

1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

My quick image search pales in comparison to the reference these guys use. 

1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

Thank you Paleoflor.  I mistook your response.  I will complete some additional research to confirm.  I was so sure about this ID after seeing doushantuo's post this morning.

For those who (like me) were wondering which thread is being referred:

Exactly, I download the PDF report and on 283 and under the fourth paragraph (top tight) "Diagnosis", it states they can be "with 4 to 6 equal to unequal sides".