California bivalve ID

Misha

Hi everyone,

I have recently received this fossil as part of a trade with @Huntonia the bivalve comes from California, but other than that I have no more information.

I am guessing it is from somewhere in the cenozoic which is an era that I am not highly familiar with.

Any info would be great,

Thank you. 

IMG_20200121_135239.jpg

IMG_20200121_135133.jpg

IMG_20200121_135159.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Definately not in my field of knowledge.

That's why I always defer bivalve IDs to @Max-fossils

Although the type of matrix seems like it may be from Northern California. 

@RJB may know this one. If I remember correctly he said he collected bivalves from N.Calif. 

• I found this Informative 4

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

4 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Yeah, without even a general area, it's impossible to say but it does resemble the preservation of some shells in the Purisima Formation, Santa Cruz County.  There are sites farther north with Pliocene shells too.  Someone more familiar with mollusks might have a better idea but I would say it might be a Clinocardium.

Yeah, I would say show it to RJB too.

Jess

• I found this Informative 3

I am very unfamiliar with Californian shells, and generally not very good at identifying shells in matrix. 

But, assuming that @siteseer's assumption of Purisima Formation is correct, googling for 'Purisima Formation fossils' delivers some results, including this one here: LINK

In here it says: 

Abundant bivalve taxa are: Anadara trilineata, Clinocardium meekianum, Macoma sp., Protothaca staleyi, and Tresus pajaroanus.

Macoma and Tresus are definitely not correct for your specimen, and I don't think Anadara or Protothaca fit really well either. 

That leaves Clinocardium: while the concentric ridges don't fit very well IMO, the shape does fit well (quite a high umbo, umbo poiting to a side, bit bulbous, etc), meaning Jess' guess was probably accurate :) (The different concentric ridges may be due to erosion; Cardiidae shells always erode weirdly I've noticed)

That being said, there are obviously other rarer species in the formation, and perhaps one that fits better, but seeing that these are the most abundant taxa makes it likely yours is a Clinocardium. 

So, if you wanna update your label from "Shell, California", I would do this:

• Clinocardium meekianum (?)
  • Purisima Formation, Pliocene (?)
  • Capitola Beach, Santa Cruz (?), CA, USA 

The question marks are just to be safe, as it isn't sure that this is the correct info. 

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Looks very much like a worn Clinocardium,, but something about the shape says Anadara?  Just not sure. 

RB

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Looks very much like a worn Clinocardium,, but something about the shape says Anadara?  Just not sure. 

RB

I also have this picture if it helps

IMG_20200121_135241.jpg

I can get more later if that would help

29 minutes ago, RJB said:

No help. Too worn.   Try and compair with this Clinocardium.  Only picture I have of this clam.

RB

DSCN0838.JPG

The general shape does seem accurate