PODIGGER

I have been lucky to find pieces of an ivory tusk (mammoth or mastodon) in the Peace River approx. 2 weeks ago.  I have taken some photos to show what it looked like when found, two after consolidating showing how some large pieces fit together and then photos of the many loose pieces.  I will have a nice jigsaw puzzle to work on once I consolidate the remaining pieces.  I am hoping for suggestions on what glue or adhesive to use to try and rebuild the tusk.  I have researched options that included super glue, gorilla glue and other adhesives.  Which is best and easiest to work with?  

Photo #1 - tusk when found

20200111_221025_resized.png.thumb.jpeg.ec710ad98232f5e96457db1a0f9ce451.jpeg

Photo #2 - three largest pieces consolidated with acetone and vinac.

20200122_103335_resized.thumb.jpg.02d94d2186fd1d76946825917ec8511f.jpg

Photo #3 = tusk pieces properly aligned .

20200122_103535_resized.thumb.jpg.7532f445db43c7a8b54cdcad9664d684.jpg

Photos #4 & #5 - puzzle pieces to be consolidated and used to rebuild the tusk as best I can

20200122_105950_resized.jpg.fb6c26ffea6b38172bbc2639fb8c3c0c.jpg

20200122_105946_resized.jpg.8d7020f31afa9978aa8e5dee0f21efdd.jpg

I will post progression photos and the final product when done.  Thanks for any help on the adhesive/glue question.

• I found this Informative 2

If you have consolidated with acetone and vinac, you might wish to try making a stronger solution (more vinac less acetone) to make a thick glue. That would then be compatible with the material you've already used on this piece.

Looking forward to the images throughout the process.

Cheers.

-Ken

36 minutes ago, PODIGGER said:

Thanks, Ken.  I'll see if I can get the mixture right and give it a try.

5 parts acetone to 1 part PVA results in a nice, thick glue. It takes a long time to fully dissolve (my experience has been a couple days). I like to periodically stir the goo with a steel rod to help speed the process.

I've heard about putting the solid plastic bits into a piece of cheese cloth (like a boquet garni) and tying a string onto it so that it may be suspended in the middle of the acetone. That seems to help it dissolve quicker than in a big lump on the bottom of the jar you are mixing it in.

Cheers.

-Ken

19 hours ago, digit said:

I've heard about putting the solid plastic bits into a piece of cheese cloth (like a boquet garni) and tying a string onto it so that it may be suspended in the middle of the acetone. That seems to help it dissolve quicker than in a big lump on the bottom of the jar you are mixing it in.

I would think this would turn into a holy mess with the high viscosity adhesive he would be making. A 1:5 ratio produces a solution with a viscosity like cold honey.

I plan on trying to use the old fashioned stirring method to get a good consistency for the adhesive step.  Thus far I have consolidated all the exterior, or "bark" pieces and started to try and fit them together.  I have been able to find how several small pieces fit in, making some progress.  The way it is going it appears I have parts of two or possibly four separate tusks.  The photos show how some of the pieces have been aligned.  The box they are sitting in is 17 1/2" x 25 1/2".  I have included some rulers for size perspective.

20200127_152358_resized.jpg

20200127_151817_resized.jpg

20200127_151622_resized.jpg

20200127_151807_resized.jpg

That looks like one heck of a puzzle you have there. Good luck! I’m anxious to see your progress. :d_good_luck:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

21 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

That looks like one heck of a puzzle you have there. Good luck! I’m anxious to see your progress. :d_good_luck:

Me too.

Thank you gentlemen.  I am going to glue together all that I can and try to create a display with the outcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update on the puzzle.  I have managed to attach most of the stray pieces and have come up with one large tusk.  Currently, all pieces in the center tusk piece (picture below) are glued together making a tusk section approximately 14" long X 7" wide.  The curvature of this section made it very difficult to get the pieces back together.  The pieces are so small and fragile there was no way to clamp anything together.  After experimenting with a couple of different super glue/instant bond products I ended up using DAP RAPIDFUSE all purpose adhesive. This adhesive set in 30 seconds and cured in 30 minutes. The large piece is being supported underneath with a soft easily moldable kids modeling clay type product.  It is inside plastic bags for now to prevent it from adhering to the tusk.  After getting this put together I was left with 5 small miscellaneous pieces I can't match up yet, along with two large sections I managed to fit back together.  The larger piece above the blue ruler consists of 4 separate pieces glued back together.  The large piece below the silver ruler is made up of 6 separate pieces I was able to fit together.  I can't find a way that these two can attach to the main large tusk section.  This is my first attempt at any fossil reconstruction and I can only hope the final product will look good and stay in one piece.  Still a work in progress!

20200207_191648_resized.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

More fun than a 1000 piece puzzle. Too bad you can't just start with the straight edge pieces and then use the picture on the box as a guide to put this puzzle back together again.

If you succeed with this piece and are looking for some contract work, I hear that Mr. H. Dumpty is looking for some help. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken - It has been interesting.  A couple of times I thought I was done with all the pieces that would fit together.  Then I would start playing with pieces along different edges and find one slide into place.  I am missing a lot of surface fragments and interior dentin.  I just ordered some PaleoBond Sculp Hardener and Resin to fill in the surface gaps.  Depending on how that works I'll figure out what is best to use for backing it all up to make a display out of it.

Does Mr Dumpty have insurance?  If not I'll need a cash deposit!

Jim

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, after a couple of weeks of getting this back together as much as I could I ordered some Paleobond to fill in the missing pieces. As I was about to start I got input from several people who suggested I should leave the tusk in it's current rebuilt state without adding any of the Paleobond.  The consensus was that the efforts at restoration would not be worth changing the natural state of the piece as recovered.  After much thought I agreed that leaving the tusk as is from here would be the best way to go.  I am currently attempting to design and build a display stand that will support the tusk in its current form.  When completed I will post photos. 

Finished the stand and have put together some pictures of the display.  

First the stand -

20200219_102256_resized.thumb.jpg.40264c86d4ee4c50764653cf052a1a3f.jpg

Next a couple of photos of the ends of the tusk to try and show the circumference, it is a lot larger than I originally thought.

20200219_103019_resized.thumb.jpg.b973446cf87a457329d64ef7a007e1f9.jpg

20200219_102916_resized.thumb.jpg.38e1a374c31cae7b00165ccea9e71084.jpg

20200219_103131_resized.thumb.jpg.842aee2c76b99eea95f148fa96488367.jpg

Finally - the tusk placed on the stand:

20200219_103441_resized.thumb.jpg.3fcb99ca9992cc89af63db5a9d867a2e.jpg

20200219_103520_resized.thumb.jpg.7c0db2b2801a6e656d82248c6c61003f.jpg

20200219_103758_resized.thumb.jpg.d20a07b60e10571e611fd9e2b9c760b7.jpg

I will be adding some modeling putty to the cross bar to help support the tusk and allow it to stand up a bit straighter.  I don't want too much pressure on any of the glued joints.  This being my first attempt at fossil prep I am relatively pleased with the finished product.  There are a couple of small areas of white around some of the glued joints.  Would it be safe to try and remove these by brushing on a small amount of acetone?

• I found this Informative 7

8 minutes ago, PODIGGER said:

Would it be safe to try and remove these by brushing on a small amount of acetone?

Should be. I'd try a Q-tip soaked in acetone.

Stand looks great. Well done!

Cheers.

-Ken

Very nice work!

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I see you are good at puzzles! ;) 

Looks good. Especially compared to what you had to start with. Love the stand too. :thumbsu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)