Partial fossil, maybe gastropod, cephlapod, chiton - too far gone to tell?

turtlefoot

Hey All,

I don't know if there is even enough of a fossil here to identify.  I am nowhere near good enough to give a real good guess.  First thought was either a small piece of a cephlapod or chiton.  If it is a gastropod, it is a type that I have never found before.  It was found on the side of a dry creek bed near Willow Springs, Missouri, USA in an Ordovician Formation.  The remnant that remains measures 13mm wide by 15mm long.  The bed the fossil remnant is laying is measures 24mm long.  There is an indented type of division going horizontally across the fossil.  It does not go all the way through to make the remnant two separates segments though (just an indentation type of division line).  Other fossils in the same rock include gastropods, a brachiopod and what looks like a very worn rugose coral.  If anyone can give me a probably identification, I would appreciate it.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Hi,

Chitons have always 8 separate plates https://www.markd60.com/modern-day-dinosaurs/ (2nd pic)

Coco

• I found this Informative 3

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

13 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Part of a trilobite pygidium or cephalon internal mold may be worth consideration.

Looking at some images online, the trilobite pygidium looks the closest so far.  I really appreciate your help.

Doug