fossilsonwheels

We have recently picked up some rather interesting micro shark teeth from the Paleozoic. Originally this was our way to get some older shark fossils to show students but I am actually pretty interested in continuing to collect micros from this period. 

First up, the oldest Chondrichthyes fossils we have and as I understand it, the second oldest yet found. 

Denticles 

Upper Ordovician 

Harding Sandstone 

Colorado

I read that these had been given a name, Tezakia. Not sure if that is still valid or if these denticles match those described. 

5BB10BAD-7B70-4133-B835-29580A892A70.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

A couple of new arrivals. 

Protactodus sp. 

Upper Devonian 

Maple Mill Formation 

Kalona Iowa

A TFF member had said they have seen research that says that these are Carboniferous but I’ll call them Devonian for now. Either way, I am quite happy with this addition. The second tooth nested against the side of the slide so I couldn’t get a good picture but it’s a nice partial

B970A245-C659-4F5D-AE2E-0AE57A1EA1C1.jpeg

5AECE127-DAE6-4531-B400-D0609650AFC1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

A very interesting tooth in my opinion. This looks very similar to some Phoebodus teeth  I found in various publications but I am not at all sure what this is. 

Phoebodus sp

Upper Devonian 

Maple Mill Formation 

Kalona Iowa

D4C52456-37BC-465C-B648-B1DF1853488F.jpeg

Another interesting partial tooth. 

Thrinacodus sp. 

Mississippian

Prospect Hill

Iowa

B6CA7CBD-38E5-4C0E-8461-7988DB1CAF37.jpeg

Genundewa success !!!! Our Devonian micro quest has been pretty successful so far. Some very interesting teeth and a fair number of denticles. The angle on this picture is not great but we viewed this tooth from several angles and compared it to other Devonian teeth. I am pretty confident in the ID given what we could see. 

Phoebodontidae sp. 

Givetian

Genundewa Limestone 

18 Mile Creek New York

AED00C45-F862-410B-9A22-53193A62E489.jpeg

Here was a rather exciting find from the Genundewa micro fossils. This tiny blue beauty seemed to match up well with some examples of Omalodus I found online. I can not be certain that is what this is but it could be a possibility perhaps. 

Unidentified Shark tooth

Givetian

Genundewa Limestone 

18 Mile Creek New York

3FD4867A-39EB-4D6B-A9CB-CCC51D7EDD18.jpeg

A few examples of Omalodus or Omalodus-like teeth that led to me thinking that little blue tooth is one.

omaldous.jpg

omalodus.jpg

Various-taxa-with-omalodontidlike-teeth-A-C-Siberiodus-mirabilis-gen-et-sp-nov-A_Q640.jpg

Several were purchased in permade slides. Eventually the ones I find will also be in slides but for now they are sealed in small plastic bags and tucked into gem jars. I will have to make slides. 

Some redemption from the Neva Formation. I’ve started working with a nicer microscope as opposed to the micro eye and it makes a difference. I researched some of the Permian micros from the Neva Formation in Kansas. Previously the only shark tooth I had found was accidentally crushed. Yesterday I found a partial but very nice tiny Cladodont shark tooth. The microscope doesn’t take photos so the pic doesn’t do it justice at all but I am really pretty happy. We have a Ctenacanthifornes tooth from this formation. I believe it fits Cladodus more than Glikmanius. Either way, this is a success. 

9FD39C64-B17C-4DBA-BF7D-088D417F4239.jpeg

Also from the Neva, I found a number of different denticles. This is my favorite and it is pretty nice. 

DAE08DAF-84D6-4C43-B6DF-06C4100FBB0B.jpeg

I also found another nifty little partial from the Devonian Genundewa Limestone. This is the second tooth that fits the morphology of Omalodus. The picture doesn’t do it justice but under the microscope, it definitely looked to be a fit. 

This formation was so productive, we ordered a little more. I am getting more familiar with the morphology of Devonian shark teeth and more comfortable handling the micro shark teeth. 

4325AC47-5A10-4DE8-AD52-0BB0D00779FB.jpeg

Here a couple more Devonian micro fossils and I believe there might be a partial Cladodont tooth in there. Again the pics don’t show much but under the scope, it looked like a possible Cladodont of some sort. The top one is that tooth. There is also an Omalodus type tooth as well which makes 3. These are from the Genundewa Limestone. 

75A62F6D-3522-4E3C-96DC-82FCA0CA778A.jpeg

A closer look at the two newest additions to our Paleozoic micro shark teeth

Cladodoides sp

Devonian

Maple Mill Formation 

Kalona Iowa

Cooleyella sp

Lower Mississippian 

Prospect Hill Formation 

Kalona Iowa

4657BDF1-7467-4FA7-8C5E-C01FA15C5655.jpeg

FF4A50BD-C726-4D62-B138-9FFE8E055A85.jpeg