leaf, seed pod, fern, from Kamloops area

itsandbits1

these and others I collected from a remote site near Kamloops; NOT McAbee,  5 years ago but with the new BC regulations which I'm still trying to figure out, I suppose this exposure is going to crumble away as the way I interpret them, I shouldn't be collecting any more from here or anywhere without there being a government scientist in attendance supervising. 

20191206_221616.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The third one is definitely a piece of twig from a tree. First one is a leaf not sure what the second and fourth one are though? can’t tell you what species either.

40 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

The third one is definitely a piece of twig from a tree. First one is a leaf not sure what the second and fourth one are though? can’t tell you what species either.

I thought the single blob halves were a Ginkgo seed pod? I don't have any of the leaves in this group but do find them fairly commonly

this one is the leaf. Also may I ask what formation is this area that might help with narrowing them down to a species level.

1C579352-0A7C-4F6F-81E6-F593045B3222.jpeg

3 hours ago, dinosaur man said:

this one is the leaf. Also may I ask what formation is this area that might help with narrowing them down to a species level.

These would be from the same age Bracket as the McAbee site which is the early eocene

I think this could be the plant genus Cupressaceae, Vitaceae or Sapindaceae.

7 hours ago, itsandbits1 said:

20191206_231647.jpg

6 hours ago, itsandbits1 said:

20200123_091902.jpg

This could be the genus Taxaceae.

6 hours ago, itsandbits1 said:

20191206_221634.jpg

20191206_221634 (2).jpg

This could be the genus Salicaceae.

The one in the upper right in the 1st pic is of course a Metasequoia sp. (Don't know species offhand). I see a bit of one in the bottom center too.

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to collect fossils in BC without supervision, except at certain sites that have been closed to collecting, such as McAbee, but you say you're outside of McAbee so you should be fine. Other than that, the only thing you have to worry about from the regulations is that you're not supposed to sell fossils.

3 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

The one in the upper right in the 1st pic is of course a Metasequoia sp. (Don't know species offhand). I see a bit of one in the bottom center too.

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to collect fossils in BC without supervision, except at certain sites that have been closed to collecting, such as McAbee, but you say you're outside of McAbee so you should be fine. Other than that, the only thing you have to worry about from the regulations is that you're not supposed to sell fossils.

new regulations in 2019 and I'm grousing because the language says I think;  you may take a sample of common type material 

6 hours ago, caldigger said:

"But officer, I always take truckload sized samples!"  :P

not that I ever see anyone out there keeping track; thanks for all the help with ID's it makes for interesting reading

There are new regulations from 2019? I have not heard, and I am willing to bet the majority of people who might find themselves out collecting fossils have not either.

Seems the general direction of everything including fossils is more and more regulation/restrictions over time. Glad I got in while I could..  just like when I got my driver's license just under the gun, before the new, more involved process came into effect!

I was able to collect at McAbee a couple times too, long before the place was closed off.