pefty

Dinosaurs in paleokarst: Why not?

pefty

Today, instead of bemoaning the paucity of marine cretaceous rocks in my state, I reframed the situation as follows:

"In the Cretaceous, most of Missouri was not ocean but land, with lots of exposed limestone that dinosaurs were likely walking around on."

This led me to the following question: Do we have no fossil examples of dinosaurs that fell in sinkholes / caves / paleokarst and were preserved there, perhaps discovered during quarrying of the limestone? We definitely have such examples for fossil mammals, reptiles, etc., including Pleistocene (Ocala), Pliocene (Pipe Creek Jr.), and Miocene (Gray Fossil Site)... So why not earlier? Why not dinosaurs? Surely there were paleokarst processes in action during dinosaur times. As possibly useful information, there was definitely regional hydrothermal activity here in the Mesozoic, based on the Jurassic emplacement age of southern Illinois fluorite.

dinosaur man

There’s no Dinosaurs because of the rocks age. But maybe one day there will be a dinosaur found preserved in one of these but for now it’s unlikely.

Pemphix
Mahnmut

There are also some Iguanodon remains in Karst-holes in devonian chalk in Nehden, Germany, there is an artikle about those in the german wiki.

Best Regards

J

Welsh Wizard

There’s also Thecodontosaurus whose remains have been found in numerous fissure fills around the Bristol area. Here’s a link to The Bristol Dinosaur Project:

http://www.thebristoldinosaurproject.org.uk/

pefty

This is such a great list being assembled! Y'all are giving me real hope for Missouri!