Fossil hunting in Orlando

Dugong

Hello I live in Orlando, Florida and have been trying to find good spots for a while. Just a problem is I would prefer a thin creek or river and I haven’t been able to find one yet. Any tips or locations?

Sorry if I chose the wrong place to submit this I just recently found this website.

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I would suggest joining a local fossil/rock hounding club.

You will get more access to different places, and learn how to go about finding your own spots. 

Most people won't give locations on an internet site that has thousands of visits per day. ;) 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Well, welcome to TFF.

I would venture to say that there are more Florida fossil hunters on this site than on any other website in the world.

So, you have found the best place to ask your question.

I realize that I know 5-10 fossil hunters, who live in the Orlando area and drive the 2 hours by car it takes to get to my hunting area. Stop and think:  WHY do they do that?  For that matter, I drive 2 hrs 15 minutes toward Orlando to get to my hunting area, the Peace River watershed. WHY do I do that?

There is only one answer for any of us.  The fossils are more plentiful, higher quality,  easier to find.

I was hunting a Peace River tributary 2 Sundays ago, and for 3/4's of the length I traveled , the water was between my ankles and knees. By the way I hate that hunting environment, Bending over my head and upper back causes pain after 2-3 hours. What is your exact definition of "thin"?

There "might" be fantastic low water locations close to Orlando,  but no on is going to tell you about them, especially if they are difficult to find. You will have to find them your self.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hello and welcome!

Another word of advice may be to hang out on the forum and be an active member. :) 

Once people get to know you through the forum, they may be more willing to share information like hunting spots. You might even get invited along on a hunt or two if you play your cards right. ;) 

Many of us have spent a lot of hours researching, driving, hiking, scouting, and digging just to come up empty handed and try again. So when we finally, after hours of work, find a productive spot, it’s hard to just give that information out to just anybody. :) 

• I found this Informative 4

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 hour ago, FossilNerd said:

Once people get to know you through the forum, they may be more willing to share information like hunting spots. You might even get invited along on a hunt or two if you play your cards right. ;) 

Excellent point.  A novice fossil hunter needs to establish credibility..... with a local fossil club or with TFF members who happen to live or hunt the vicinity you wish to hunt.  I stated this hobby in 2008 and for the first 18 months struggled.  Then I joined a local fossil club and TFF,  and the opportunities bloomed. 

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Google maps is your friend find the formation that has the fossils you're looking for and look for creeks. I'm sure this is not your first time sense you said you live in Florida and have your own spot you like I'm just saying what has worked for me in other states for fossil hunting rivers even drainage ditches that would of never found amazing tool we keep in are pocket 

• I found this Informative 1

Hi Dugong,

Welcome to the forum.

The issue with the Orlando area is the geology. The fossil layers are not well exposed there and the overburden layer is quite thick. Even if you find a creek or ditch, it is unlikely to be deep enough to expose the fossiliferous strata. In most of the Peace River basin, the overburden layer is thin or the fossil layer is not as deep (or both). I suspect a similar geology (to the Peace) is at work around the Gainesville area and that is why you see fossil-rich creeks there. Your best bet might be to visit the Gainesville area. It's closer to Orlando than the Peace is. But, be aware that the enforcement of laws regarding digging has changed in Gainesville recently and some spots are now off-limits.

Other than that, you got some good advice above. Make Google Maps, Google Earth, and Google Scholar your friend. Also note, that many small creeks will not show up on Google Earth or Google Maps. They are too small and many are under tree cover, making it impossible to see from above. Nothing will beat first-hand scouting on the ground. Get your boots, walking stick, GPS (or navigation app) and go looking. You'll strike out a lot of times, but eventually you'll get lucky and your work will pay off - and then it becomes apparent why people are reluctant to give specific spots.  :)

Also, install the "Rockd" app on your smartphone - it's a good tool to have in your fossilhunter's toolkit.

Good luck!

MikeG

• I found this Informative 5

Relying on referred sites will bring you someone else’s seconds, at best.  Greatest rewards go to those with the pioneering spirit to find sites on their own.  Then, if you are lucky, you may have a competition-free zone for a while.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 2 weeks later...

I started hunting more intensely around 8 months ago and this forum has been a huge help. Everyone on here is very knowledgeable and kind. They are right about Orlando. The overburden makes it hard to find fossil rich rivers. I live in Orlando and have found my own areas here with hours on hours of research and test digging. If you want Megs than I would suggest the peace river as I now drive the 2 hours that direction like @Shellseeker said in order to find my bigger teeth. If you are going to try and hunt Orlando I would suggest investing in a pair of waders. They are about $40 on amazon and worth every penny. A lot of the rivers in Orlando that you'll explore are full of glass and road run off. The few rivers here that are fossil bearing are layered with decaying plant matter that smells when you break through the layer. It's not the kind of stuff you really want getting in your bathing suite. I would highly recommend the waders if you're going into these rivers locally. If you want some more insight, check out my past postings. There is a reason I leave Orlando to find the better stuff. 

• I found this Informative 4

8 minutes ago, Maxsg said:

Check out my past postings. There is a reason I leave Orlando to find the better stuff. 

Nice Max, sounds like experience talking.  :fistbump: