beautiful colorful Circular shape on a rock

JooJ

Nothing to say about it other than the pic. I found it as is and did nothing except cleaning with water. So pretty. any ideas what it might be?

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 1.22.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 1.22.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 1.22.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 1.22.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 1.23.44 AM.png

Interesting specimen, thanks for posting!
Questions:
- is it 2D or 3D?

- host rock is a (marly) limestone?

To me, it looks more like some anorganic crystallization (calcium carbonate? gypsum? something else?) around a nucleus that seems at least texturally different than the surrounding matrix. The chambering is a little bit odd for anorganic crystallization, though. But I am leaning more towards anorganic than fossil.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2

It looks like a favositid type coral in cross section. Can you tell us more about where you found it?

• I found this Informative 2

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

7 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

It looks like a favositid type coral in cross section. Can you tell us more about where you found it?

I agree, or just possibly a large rugose with dissepiments. What's the diameter? (I don't know how big the coin is!)

Tarquin

> I posted pics of the back side. There are some trace of marine fossil (?)

> the 2 Euro coin is about 15% bigger than a USA quarter

> It's more limestone but I am not sure. Not in a position to affirm that. Lots of coral pieces I got from the area.

> it is 2D and diameter 3mcm

> Found in the anti mount Lebanon range (mid) at 1500+ elevation. Those hills are the natural separation between syria and Lebanon. When the war started in Syria, there was an attempt of ISIS to attack Lebanon very close to the site. Bulldozers rush to extract sand from hills to make sand bags for defenders, I would go to this place and look for fossil (my ancestral village and parents live in the area)

Back-of-circular-fossil.png

Back-of-circular-fossil2.png

Back-of-circular-fossil3.png

back-of-circular-fossil.png

• I found this Informative 3

Cross section of a large cone of some sort? this is obviously a guess. The repeating shapes around the margin look organic to me.

Sorry to read about the problems in your home land. I hope that you and your family are safe.

The oldest rocks of Lebanon seem to be Jurassic, so paleozoic corals can be ruled out:

Geological-map-of-Lebanon-Dubertret-1955.thumb.png.fc8183e3f09f2ccc933acccfe423cc79.png

Thanks for all the extra infos and pics, @JooJ! Sure there are marine fossils in it and it is some sort of somewhat impure limestone.

2 hours ago, JooJ said:

the 2 Euro coin is about 15% bigger than a USA quarter

You are a funny guy!! :default_rofl:

For our overseas friends, the coin is about 2.6 cm in diameter, a very little more than 1 inch (at least the Dutch 2 Euro coin that I have right next to me :D)

1 hour ago, Bullsnake said:

Pyrite sun?

You could be into something! Although I can not clearly see some Fe-sulfide, it could be a pseudomorph. But I am uncertain about it.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 4

10 minutes ago, Plax said:

Sorry to read about the problems in your home land. I hope that you and your family are safe

I echo this sentiment and thank you for sharing your personal experience. 

A very poorly preserved Cyclobatis ?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

This looks too much like a marine fossil to be a mineral. Minerals do not crystallize in limestone with segmented chambers. Favosities would be the wrong age, so maybe bryzoan colony? Or some other coral?

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

A very poorly preserved Cyclobatis ?

You got it!!! :default_faint:

Franz Bernhard

I'm more in the Chaetetid sponge camp as @TqB suggested, since coral is ruled out.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

5 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

I'm more in the Chaetetid sponge camp

@JooJ says, the specimen is 2D!

Franz Bernhard

4 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

@JooJ says, the specimen is 2D!

Franz Bernhard

Split when the rock did so that we are looking at a cross section? Can sponges not split?

-Dave

11 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Split when the rock did so that we are looking at a cross section? Can sponges not split?

Sure! I just took this literally:

20 hours ago, JooJ said:

it is 2D

@JooJ, we clearly need more data! :) Thank you so much!

Btw, diameter of "tubes" appears to be about 2.5 mm. Isn´t that a little bit large for a chaetetid sponge? I don´t know the maximum tube diameter of these sponges, though.

Franz Bernhard

1 hour ago, FranzBernhard said:

No joke, in my oppinion @Mark Kmiecik has it correctly IDed.

Franz Bernhard

Wouldn't a ray that size have just slightly more substance than a jelly fish ?

Are you saying that just some skin was preserved ?

I don't think this is a Cyclobatis. :unsure: 

I've not seen any kind of mineralization like this item has, on a ray fossil. :mellow:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Wouldn't a ray that size have just slightly more substance than a jelly fish ?

Are you saying that just some skin was preserved ?

I don´t know anything about rays. I have just googled the genus suggested by @Mark Kmiecik and I see similarities, especially the "tube like, chambered structures" at the outer rim. And Lebanon seems to be famous for this genus. Lets see, if @Mark Kmiecik has more to say about it.

In the meantime: Any further suggestions ;)?
Franz Bernhard

I can see the similarities, but they don't really look the same. 

fossil-stingray-eocene-period-B18CJR-horz.jpg

I see NONE of the other structures apparent in most of the other Cyclobatis fossils I see online.  :shakehead: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me