Troodon

Well the Tuscon fossil show is just a few days away and I'm already getting calls from sellers wanting to get together this weekend.   Hopefully the show will be full of cool displays and will pass on a few of those images next week.   But here we are week 3 in the new year so lets begin with this weeks show.

An almost complete hatchling specimen of the basal sauropodomorph Mussaurus patagonicus from the MacnVp colletion in Argentina. This specimen is from the Early Jurassic of the Argentinian Patagonia

Courtesy, Bernardino Rivadavia Natural Sciences Argentine Museum

Skull is in top right. 

EA-l5YUXkAACUiZ.thumb.jpeg.236d77a04ca43fbda1facab6f54db868.jpeg

A couple of photos of the T rex Scotty 

Now this is a T rex tooth, one of the best I've seen and gotta like its size

D69tbruWwAARGc6.thumb.jpeg.2100f583099ffa808a0d45e1ca0a33f1.jpeg

Femur

D69tbruXoAYG0uk.thumb.jpeg.fc5f803d15367a81e412a737ae1c4977.jpeg

Another T rex specimen this one Burke's Museum... they say " can you believe that the humerus (upper arm bone) of a T. rex is nearly the same size as yours? "

Pretty rare specimen, not a lot around

EMPiyo2WkAMdzY8.jpeg.07a83fe7351b6c56621540598eac71d3.jpeg

From the NHM Dino lab 

The weird Triassic herbivore Pisanosaurus in the PVL collections.  Based on a single partial skeleton discovered in the Ischigualasto Formation of the Ischigualasto-Villa Unión Basin in northwestern Argentina

EAUhBeZXYAASvst.thumb.jpeg.ec9c49716dfab4fbcab2517e1b2406a8.jpegEAUhBcxW4AY-yp-.thumb.jpeg.e5debeb25f3928fa1f5e84a2bf707b2e.jpeg

Also from the NHM Dinolab : Coloradisaurus is a genus of massospondylid sauropodomorph dinosaur. It lived during the Late Triassic period in what is now La Rioja Province, Argentina. It is known from the holotype PVL 5904, nearly complete skull.

EAPZvcdXYAEZjVV.thumb.jpeg.9a288640e81821cbfd2de69ee363aa32.jpeg

The recently-named Cryodrakon boreas was one of the largest-ever flying animals, with an estimated 10-meter wingspan. This tibia contains a tooth left behind by a scavenging dromaeosaur.  Courtesy Royal Tyrrell Museum.  Now thats a cool specimen...

5e2ad97f3b529_EIDmWHPWkAIrKwY(1).jpg.2129c3e4c843ca8150599fa916ded89e.jpg

These beautiful feet belong to a nearly complete specimen of Saurornitholestes, from Alberta.   Courtesy Mark Powers

ELsTn1GUYAARSvA.thumb.jpeg.e0c7b25371ac8da2dfae345e1598676d.jpeg

• I found this Informative 15

From the Perot Museum a Tyrannosaurid tooth from the Liscomb Bonebed, North Slope, Alaska, where the first Alaska Dinosaurs were found.

5e2adb7bde749_EOfZabIXsAIsVVl(1).thumb.jpeg.cafbffa525c463ced8cc291b6c6bda13.jpeg

From the ROM : Members of the public found this Edmontosaurus skull just 18 km from the Museum in 2017. It is the first complete skull of this common hadrosaur species discovered in Alberta in over 50 years.

EOft2VYXkAAxwn51.thumb.jpg.4d52e71e6d307fd01e4c43d1d6b9aa6f.jpg

5e2adcdb32435_DtQ9YUZWsAEXDH3(1).thumb.jpg.7c3725773b65a00e3a7140aded4f38c1.jpg

Erythrosuchus at the Evolutionary Studies Institute! Their ridiculously large head to body ratio was suited to fill hypercarnivorous niches following the end-Permian mass extinction.  Courtesy of  Kevin Hoffman

EOfGxI0X0AIcT4U.thumb.jpeg.ee887f392f7e5f9ff88c29430b1d2325.jpeg

Every wonder how to tell a Gorgosaurs or Nanotyrannus Ilium from a T rex ..they have an has an ilialic hook

EOgsRIsWoAAr2pA.jpg.30c48c3e5e86f94ed0f278b8745f6cb5.jpg

T rex

EOgsRYuXsAEs_dh.jpg.318a6a4442a30faf8652d88b69637343.jpg

Ever wonder if Dinosaurs could cross frozen lakes?  Well the park service in Vermont or New Hampshire posted this chart to help guide them across these waterways.   

Screenshot_20200112-062950_Chrome.jpg.5fa02e5360d5fb6f5b86ad9e7fdf504b.jpg

• I found this Informative 13

15 minutes ago, Troodon said:

more coming.................................:default_clap2:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

19 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Now this is a T rex tooth, one of the best I've seen and gotta like its size

D69tbruWwAARGc6.thumb.jpeg.2100f583099ffa808a0d45e1ca0a33f1.jpeg

:default_faint:

I would trade my car or my kidney lol. But I still think this won't be enough :headscratch:

35 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Edmontosaurus skull

Wow this skull is incredible and looks like  it was alive a couple of year’s ago. It also reminds me to of Godzilla. Thanks Frank for the great post and I love the ice thickness poster. :wub:

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

From the NHM Dino lab 

The weird Triassic herbivore Pisanosaurus in the PVL collections.  Based on a single partial skeleton discovered in the Ischigualasto Formation of the Ischigualasto-Villa Unión Basin in northwestern Argentina

EAUhBeZXYAASvst.thumb.jpeg.ec9c49716dfab4fbcab2517e1b2406a8.jpegEAUhBcxW4AY-yp-.thumb.jpeg.e5debeb25f3928fa1f5e84a2bf707b2e.jpeg

Why did they put all those bones into a cement like that? 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

7 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Why did they put all those bones into a cement like that? 

Dont know what they are in could be foam type material

11 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Dont know what they are in could be foam type material

FOAM! of course :DOH:

The foam looks to have been carved as supports for the bones rather than holding them in place. How silly of me. Thank you for pointing that out. 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

and I love the ice thickness poster

I like it too pretty cool...creative person that designed it 

Here is a fun one from the Tate Museum collections.  A small Pachycephalosaur jaw (at least  that is what I am calling it).  This was found on one of our Tate Dinosaur Safaris in 2012.  The woman who found it went back home to Seattle and started volunteering at the Burke.  Three years or so ago, they said to he... "Here, you can work on this thing..."  It was their new rex skull.  

IMG_0037b.jpg.1d08c8ae1fac615d9a598908024e545b.jpg

DSCN2726b.jpg.facac63b7287258a16638e3d338bfb10.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Here is a fun one from the Tate Museum collections.  A small Pachycephalosaur jaw (at least  that is what I am calling it).  This was found on one of our Tate Dinosaur Safaris in 2012.  The woman who found it went back home to Seattle and started volunteering at the Burke.  Three years or so ago, they said to he... "Here, you can work on this thing..."  It was their new rex skull.  

Pretty rare having a jaw section with teeth.  Lance Fm material?  

Fortunate lady to be able to work on that rex skull

40 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Pretty rare having a jaw section with teeth.  Lance Fm material?  

Fortunate lady to be able to work on that rex skull

Yeah, Lance Fm bone bed.  

Yeah, I was jealous.  

20 hours ago, jpc said:

DSCN2726b.jpg.facac63b7287258a16638e3d338bfb10.jpg

I love that color pattern on the teeth! Also cool to see the erupting teeth to replace others.

-Dave