Petrified scallop

Salty dog

I’ve been around the scalloping industry for over 40 years and this is the only one I’ve seen . it has a flat side , a round side and the hinge area  So it is either sand that turned into a rock like a mold or it a petrified scallop ????? 

83233084-B631-4B24-A9BF-5350EA44C1C5.jpeg

Yes, I think that's an internal mold or 'steinkern' where the sediment filled the shell and solidified and then the shell eroded or broke away to leave the mold.  

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

But When you hold it ( and you held a million of em before so you know the difference of the top shell or bottom etc )  , it feels too detailed to be Just a mold.the hinge part I don’t think would be sticking out if it were to be a mold ( if you stripped  out the insides of a scallop and made a mold yourself I don’t think the hinge would protrude out so much like this one does )    You can close your eyes and beside the weight it feels so real , but that’s why I posted on this page ,to here from the pros.     Thank you so much to anybody that responded to my post.  

Edited by Salty dog

I can’t argue with you tigdys  dad , I think your right   If that’s the case how old do you think that would be. Any guess?