OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

It may help to explain that we once spent a day searching for reported fossil sites from New Bedford to Boston. 

One of the highlights of the day was coming across a good sized preying mantis. We had a nice chat with a curious boat yard owner and explored some volcanic looking rip rap at a resort development, but no fossils. :shakehead: 

I'd agree with @Rockwood but the size of the fossil is throwing me off. The last pic with the pencil next to the rock implies a huge brachiopod. I don't know of many that get that big, and not with that pattern of rays.  Where in the "Atlantic pile" did you find this? It reminds me a little of the limestone nodules one finds on the beaches of Calvert Cliffs with the bivalve impressions.

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

49 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

the pencil

Pretty sure that's a small wire brad (nail). Notice the wood grain. I'd guess about 3/4 " long ?

Rather than guess-work, let's ask the OP to take a clearer image with a ruler or tape measure to indicate scale.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

7 minutes ago, Kane said:

Rather than guess-work, let's ask the OP to take a clearer image with a ruler or tape measure to indicate scale.

Okay.

@Salty dog How big is it ?

I found this off shore ( I can’t pinpoint location but it’s safe to say it was no closer than 25 miles and no further than 

100 miles off shore from cape cod )in a pile that came up in the scallop dredge  I will get a better pic on here ,it is a little over two pounds   The shell imprint is about 2inchrs wide , overall length is about 6-7 inches 

6 minutes ago, Salty dog said:

I found this off shore ( I can’t pinpoint location but it’s safe to say it was no closer than 25 miles and no further than 

100 miles off shore from cape cod )in a pile that came up in the scallop dredge  I will get a better pic on here ,it is a little over two pounds   The shell imprint is about 2inchrs wide , overall length is about 6-7 inches 

This paints a whole different picture than I was seeing. There are definitely younger rocks off shore. 

3 hours ago, Salty dog said:

BE1BF8AA-DAD5-4B47-9AF0-A304AE662A55.jpeg

Can't you post a better close-up of this thing? I'm now quite convinced that this is a pectinid bivalve, but it sure would be nice to have a closer look.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

4 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Gotcha :)

Indeed. :shakehead:

It just looked so like the the little ones that are constantly sitting on my oak table.

I think it may be Miocene fossils similar to those at Calvert Cliffs that the ice sheets left behind.

I’m sry for the ignorance as I’m not a collector , these are my personal finds while on the job so I have no knowledge of what you guys are lookin at.  I thought the petrified scallop was gonna get the most questions lol.   Do you want a close up of the shell imprint or the the texture on the rock itself   Thanks again guys for any responses 

17 minutes ago, Salty dog said:

I’m sry for the ignorance as I’m not a collector , these are my personal finds while on the job so I have no knowledge of what you guys are lookin at.  I thought the petrified scallop was gonna get the most questions lol.   Do you want a close up of the shell imprint or the the texture on the rock itself   Thanks again guys for any responses 

It's likely a mold fossil of a scallop (pectinid bivalve). The white substance being what remains of the shell.

I should have guessed from your handle that it was fished out of the sea.  :)

A closer look / more pixels might help.

1 hour ago, Salty dog said:

Thanks. 

I'm even more convinced it's a pectinid bivalve. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thank you for interest.  Can I ask you this. I know I can’t ask about value but is there any market for these things or would any museums be interested or are these common in this line of work   I know the scallop mold is the only one that my whole family ( in the industry for 50 + years ) has ever seen     Maybe I’ll look around the whaling museum and see what they have  thanks again 

I suspect the captain may be the captain because he knows how to not catch these scallops. Submerged moraine (glacial dump) would seem like the thing to avoid.

Lol imagine if there were beds of these somewhere ???we dredge the bottom with 2 ton iron frames and dig right in the rock piles hard that’s were they like to  hide lol when the gear malfunctions ( the rock chains break ) you can catch rocks bigger than a Volkswagen sometimes can’t even bring them aboard and have to dump the whole catch.   whew. I’m just thinking about picking through those piles sometimes you’d swear you’d seen the same rock over and over lol