Stromatolites,large formation

oncandlewood

Stromatolites or stromatoliths are layered mounds, columns, and sheet-like sedimentary rocks that were originally formed by the growth of layer upon layer of cyanobacteria, a single-celled photosynthesizing microbe. Fossilized stromatolites provide records of ancient life on Earth.Stromatolites are layered bio-chemical accretionary structures formed in shallow water by the trapping, binding and cementation of sedimentary grains by biofilms (microbial mats) of microorganisms, especially cyanobacteria.found on brothers property in Wurtsboro NY.also found florescent calcite formations.   This is what i believe they are.

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to the Forum!

That does LOOK like a Stromatolite but it could be something else too. The rocks around Wurtsboro are Devonian to Ordovician in age. Can you be more specific as to the area where you found it? Would you be able to post a close view of the lower left corner, to the left of your label? I want to see if I can see structures in the fossil.

Thanks!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

hello. was with shale and limestone with some calcite and rock that looks like flow stone.  yankee lake. overlooking wurtsboro ny. is just up the hill. i also saw a red and white round fossil in limestone too.Believe me what the maps say. arent all right geologically. see my other post with bone. the location i thought was Devonian in PA cause of a geo map and found a contradicting geological map.

IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_0832.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Just some updated info. location was Oneonta Formation. Sullivan county Ny and found a few on the property which was mostly shale and some limestone.i know they find these upstate NYS but this is where they where found. could have been dragged down by the glaciers or pushed up from rocks under the mountain it was found on.  heres a sample of a article i found.

State geologists have announced the discovery of fossils of an algae-like plant called stromatolite in the Adirondack Mountains. It was, they said, the first time that a fossil of any kind had been found in the Adirondacks.

The discovery was made by Dr. Yngvar Isachsen of the State Geological Survey while on a field trip with other scientists near Balmat in southwestern St. Lawrence County.

The site is just northwest of Camp Drum and not far from the St. Lawrence River. The survey is an arm of the State Museum in Albany.

The fossils in the Adirondacks were found upside-down, indicating a folding of the Adirondack rocks, Dr. Isachsen said.

Dr. Isachsen found the stromatolite fossils in a vertical ledge about six feet high on a road leading to a zinc mine operated by the St. Joe Mineral Company.  Another example is Connecticut has very few fossils. Mostly the dino footprints. They found at some university in the woods lots of fossils that dont belong. figured out likely dragged and dropped by glaciers in the past.

• I found this Informative 2

That makes some sense. Still nice looking fossils to me. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

12 hours ago, oncandlewood said:

Another example is Connecticut has very few fossils.

Mostly the dino footprints.

They found at some university in the woods lots of fossils that don't belong.

Figured out likely dragged and dropped by glaciers in the past.

Can you cite the source the information for the last two sentences? 

Connecticut actually has a fairly diverse and large fossil record, from the Early Jurassic (Hettangian) and the Pleistocene.

Beyond fossil dinosaur prints, . there have been 4 genera of fossil fish, 6 or 7 genera of plants, a number of insects, bivalves, ostracods, 4 genera of Dinosaur/reptiles, from the Jurassic found in CT. 

Bivalves, and Gastropods from the Pleistocene as well.  ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

just tried.ill search again was maybe a year back. they wouldnt give too much detail as didnt want people knowing exact location before they can get most of whats there.ill search again.