Large Shell Fossil discovered Devonian fish when cleaning

oncandlewood

Pa fossil. shale with large shell. while removing excess layers found a sort of fish. is not a clam or mollusk. Devonian period rocks location.both sides of fish in picture.

IMG_4293.JPG

IMG_4306.JPG

IMG_4293 - Copy.JPG

Edited by oncandlewood
poor focus

Focus would be appreciated.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Take three closeup photos, one of each each fossil with a scale. What formation are these from? 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Not a fish, I think. 

Possibly a phyllocarid. 

Clearer pictures would definitely be helpful.

Where was this found? County, state, nearest city?

It would make a difference if it were upper, middle or lower Devonian.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

i am updating photos. locality had all 3 upper, middle and lower Devonian. Matamoras PA.away from national park area.

Grammysia bisulcata bivalve.  Or are you referring to the smaller rock on top of the large rock? 

EDIT Nevermind.  It looks like you are referring to the object on small rock.

5 minutes ago, oncandlewood said:

i was interested in the tiny fossil. the shell is nice but the tiny one looks like a Skate fish

If you could get a closer picture of the cast portion of the fossil in question, with oblique lighting such as a desk lamp or flashlight off to one side (to create shadows so we can see the surface structure easier), it could give us a better idea of what it might be.:)

I think you have the only fossil record evidence of the deep sea alien from "The Abyss" movie. ;)

20200124_184213.png

20200124_183934.png

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I doubt that the whole thing is a fish.  It may however, be part of one such as a tooth or denticle. Better photos are needed.

Are you saying that these are positive and negative of the same fossil?

AA67C5F0-A608-4A43-BBDA-4538DBC97927.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Warped Glyptomaria sp. snail. I see these all the time at Deep Springs Rd.

• I found this Informative 7

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I would agree, this looks like a squish-out of a Glyptotomaria, or a Paleozygopleura gastropod.

AA67C5F0-A608-4A43-BBDA-4538DBC97927.jpeg.6fecc3e10df80c9bfc7b65363451c07f.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

ok same location. probably a rare find.a vertebra.

it fluoresces creamy white under long wave believe was replaced with mineral calcite or opalite as compared to them. is a fossil very hard.Devonian.

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

25 minutes ago, oncandlewood said:

it does fluoresce.

Can you give us more information about this diagnostic ? It's the first I've heard of it.

under long wave light as i have mineral collections i have a long wave florescent display and hand held. so i tend to show uv lights on items other than the rocks and minerals. this bone  fluoresces similar to the opalite mineral that i have 2 samples. whitish creamy almost neon green to yellow with purple..  Also did you know lichen on trees,many  also fluoresces blue, green ,bright red, orange and yellow.under long wave light.  as minerals often replace the shells bones etc.many minerals fluoresce under uv. so your fossils may fluoresce. this bone does.

2 minutes ago, oncandlewood said:

under long wave light as i have mineral collections i have a long wave florescent display and hand held. so i tend to show uv lights on items other than the rocks and minerals. this bone  fluoresces similar to the opalite mineral that i have 2 samples. whitish creamy almost neon green to yellow with purple..  Also did you know lichen on trees,many  also fluoresces blue, green ,bright red, orange and yellow.under long wave light.  as minerals often replace the shells bones etc.many minerals fluoresce under uv. so your fossils may fluoresce. this bone does.

Have you done a control test on a bone known to be of modern origin ?

• I found this Informative 3

Can you suggest a potential source from younger rocks that could have been mixed in with the Devonian rocks ? The older age is at serious odds with the origin of artiodactyls. 

hello im just a simple amateur collector.no i didnt test. i have fossils of many types displayed,rocks minerals, Indian artifacts etc.i have also found 4 silver nuggets checked with jewelers test kit confirmed silver too..i have a large family have lots in several states that i like to explore.Hancock NY lot has tree fossils and leaf fossils.. is all PA  shale.but i did  find a white rolled up trilobite which is in dark flint and a blue stone stuck in it. nice little piece.

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG