Gomphotherium on the Peace River

PODIGGER

Went out to the Peace River yesterday.  The water flow and depth were down to very workable levels.  Weather was very nice after several days of below normal temps.  I still needed the wetsuit due to the water temp, but it was a really great day to be on the river.  After an easy paddle up river I found my targeted spot was at a level similar to where it was in October.  I was able to easily pull the kayak up onto a sandy bank and step out with no effort.  A check of the bank for about 25 yards in either direction failed to yield up any finds.  With that I began working my way along the river to the spot I had in mind for the day.  Things started off slow with only various small shark teeth and chips of mammoth found through the morning.  Feeling a bit disappointed I headed out more into the middle of the river, luckily easy to get to with the river level down.  I was back at a spot where I found a Gomphotherium partial tooth in early October.  Within only a few minutes and a couple of shovels full of gravel I was rewarded with another partial Gomp tooth!  As I worked the area for the rest of the afternoon I came up with a horse molar, a partial vert, turtle scutes, a nice tiger shark tooth and many more small shark teeth.  It turned out to be a great day.  Photos below:

Best of the day:

20200125_095950_resized.png.jpeg.22b2a0c8813cc2e9404149950dec2099.jpeg

New Gomph tooth:

20200125_093327_resized.thumb.jpg.920ece0abccb7ab100720929e2b49642.jpg

20200125_093346_resized.thumb.jpg.91e8c8eee113df26d9ba30a830f2cd80.jpg

20200125_093401_resized.thumb.jpg.ceb779c8e53a8dcf9be63bcad7b42176.jpg

Gomp tooth from October alongside the new one (first find on top):

20200125_093100_resized.thumb.jpg.b66833692474e6a5258b9efc377b8028.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

1 hour ago, PODIGGER said:

I was rewarded with another partial Gomp tooth!

Are you sure your new tooth is a Gomphotherium and not Mastodon?

As an amateur - I am not 100% sure it is Gomph.  I believe it is due to the size and the multiple small "peaks" on the tooth.  I have a mastodon tooth and through research it seems to me that the mastodon has much more well defined individual cones.  Below is a picture of the side by side comparison of the mastodon tooth with the first Gomph tooth.  The new tooth has many of the small "peaks" as well that can be seen in the above photo that looks straight down on the tooth.  I would certainly change this ID if others are sure I am mistaken.  I'm very happy with the tooth either way.

thumbnail-3.thumb.jpeg.bbbafc9db73342a4e9db6a3e25187b35.jpeg

I agree that it is a nice find. Here’s your partial tooth compared with a couple Mastodon teeth from the internet. I’ve circled what I think represents the piece you found.

15A982E3-18BC-4E4B-91D6-D150D56550BD.jpeg

30D9FDC2-CCA0-4730-9FCB-05739C7A239E.jpeg

61E9EE7A-FAE2-4E0F-887F-B5B230D11268.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

Thanks Al Dente.  I do see why you have made that ID and barring any significant differing evidence I agree.  I always appreciate input and clarification from the experienced members here on the forum.  Mastodon it is!

Nice finds:thumbsu:Glad you could get out there

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

17 minutes ago, PODIGGER said:

Thanks!  If the weather holds I'll get back out there tomorrow!

I'll be waiting outside by the curb for you to pick me up. :)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, PODIGGER said:

Thanks!  If the weather holds I'll get back out there tomorrow!

51 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I'll be waiting outside by the curb for you to pick me up. :)

I run in my personal jet, then take my helicopter and i will be landing in your garden at six o'clock, Florida hour.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

On 1/25/2020 at 1:43 PM, PODIGGER said:

As an amateur - I am not 100% sure it is Gomph.  I believe it is due to the size and the multiple small "peaks" on the tooth.  I have a mastodon tooth and through research it seems to me that the mastodon has much more well defined individual cones.  Below is a picture of the side by side comparison of the mastodon tooth with the first Gomph tooth.  The new tooth has many of the small "peaks" as well that can be seen in the above photo that looks straight down on the tooth.  I would certainly change this ID if others are sure I am mistaken.  I'm very happy with the tooth either way.

thumbnail-3.thumb.jpeg.bbbafc9db73342a4e9db6a3e25187b35.jpeg

Those two pieces look as if they might fit together.  Have you tried?

Don

I thought the same the minute I pulled up the small one.  Unfortunately, they are not a matched set.  But I still have hope of finding more!

Tomorrow's hunt still looks good so anybody at the house, curb, garden by the time I leave can follow along - you will need your own kayak and a way to get it to the river -LOL.  My inflatable kayak and equipment takes up all the room in my jeep!