Hypselosaurus dinosaur egg, please provide your expertose

Dinobot

Hi there I am new to this forum and I am an amateur collector, I just purchased a pair of hypselosaurus egg on a our favour auction website and would really really appreciate some input as this has been my biggest buy to date.  Please let me know your thoughts"

"

Species: Hypselosaurus

Screenshot_20200125-123701_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200125-123644_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200125-123619_eBay.jpg

If it’s to be identifiable we will need close ups of the shells texture.

@Dinobot 

We realize you are new, but please refrain from posting ad copy, per forum rules.  Thanks for your help.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

This type of egg was ones thought to be attributed to Hypselosaurus but recent reasearch no longer supports that assignment.   Eggs are typically not identified to a specific dinosaur species but to the type of egg it is.  Would need higher quality and closer images to comnent on your eggs.  Do you have a specific locality where they were found.

So best described as 

Megaloolithus sp. 

• I found this Informative 3

5 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@Dinobot 

We realize you are new, but please refrain from posting ad copy, per forum rules.  Thanks for your help.  ;)

Sorry about that but thanks for the heads up I will not post like this in the future

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

This type of egg was ones thought to be attributed to Hypselosaurus but recent reasearch no lonfer supports that assignment.   Eggs are typically not identified to a specific dinosaur species but to the type of egg it is.  So best described as 

Megaloolithus sp. 

Hey ok thanks! I will get some more in depth photos when I receive it, but do they look authentic or do I need close up photos to make that determination?

47 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

If it’s to be identifiable we will need close ups of the shells texture.

Ok I will take some when I get the piece :)

Red flag for me. The matrix looks fake, and the two eggs havebeen put together. (I know quite well the type of rockin which they are found)

They look real but probably quite repaired, but need better pictures to know.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Pixpaleosky said:

Red flag for me. The matrix looks fake, and the two eggs havebeen put together. (I know quite well the type of rockin which they are found)

I thought the same thing when I looked at them few days ago. 

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

This type of egg was ones thought to be attributed to Hypselosaurus but recent reasearch no longer supports that assignment.   Eggs are typically not identified to a specific dinosaur species but to the type of egg it is.  Would need higher quality and closer images to comnent on your eggs.  Do you have a specific locality where they were found.

So best described as 

Megaloolithus sp. 

20200125_161007.jpg

20200125_160942.jpg

20200125_160926.jpg

2 hours ago, Pixpaleosky said:

20200125_160900.jpg

20200125_160843.jpg

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

So best described as 

Megaloolithus sp. 

The seller did not have any more information he got it from a closed down museum :/

FYI-  You really should ask questions about authenticity BEFORE you make the purchase. Not after.;)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Sorry, when you stated that you purchased these, I took it as a done deal. I guess a 30 day money back is a plus. I admit that Dino eggs are not my specialty. I hope these eggs turn out to be a good buy for you.:)

2 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Sorry, when you stated that you purchased these, I took it as a done deal. I guess a 30 day money back is a plus. I admit that Dino eggs are not my specialty. I hope these eggs turn out to be a good buy for you.:)

Thanks fingers crossed, I have wanted a couple eggs in my collection, but have been nervous to pull the trigger until now :)

3 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

Thanks fingers crossed, I have wanted a couple eggs in my collection, but have been nervous to pull the trigger until now :)

Totally understandable, which is why it was a good idea to get others opinions first.

Those images look fine and what I would expect to see on this type of egg.  The other question is about the matrix and if the eggs are complete.  How thick is the matrix and can you provide photos of the contact area between the egg and matrix.  On your second photo the area to the left of the eggs appears to be a different shade and texture.

13 hours ago, Dinobot said:

20200125_161007.jpg 20200125_160942.jpg 20200125_160926.jpg

Red flag to me!, they look real, but they also look like they where just placed into matrix!

The eggs look correct for megaloolithus (formerly hypselosaurus) to me from the close ups.  Not sure about the matrix and if they belong together though.  Ultimately you bought them for the eggs, not the matrix.  If you like the aesthetic of two authentic french eggs next to each other in a questionable matrix for display I would keep them.  I think its a nice piece.

3 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

The eggs look correct for megaloolithus (formerly hypselosaurus) to me from the close ups.  Not sure about the matrix and if they belong together though.  Ultimately you bought them for the eggs, not the matrix.  If you like the aesthetic of two authentic french eggs next to each other in a questionable matrix for display I would keep them.  I think its a nice piece.

Ok thanks :) yes the seller also doesnt believe the matrix is original and I do like the look!

20 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

Red flag to me!, they look real, but they also look like they where just placed into matrix!

Ok thanks!

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Those images look fine and what I would expect to see on this type of egg.  The other question is about the matrix and if the eggs are complete.  How thick is the matrix and can you provide photos of the contact area between the egg and matrix.  On your second photo the area to the left of the eggs appears to be a different shade and texture.

Kk thanks! Working on additional photos.  Is there any way to tell how much repair has been done based on the close ups?