No idea what this is - Myrtle Beach find

PSchleis

I thought maybe some kind of steinkern, but part of it is pitted like bone marrow. It doesn't resemble anything else I've found.

It's pinched at the top. The top pinched end is smooth and shiny - almost enamel-like. The bottom half is round and pitted.

P1120130.JPG

P1120132.JPG

P1120133.JPG

P1120134.JPG

P1120136.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

In your other thread pyroclastic bombs have been mentioned.

thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/101877-is-this-bone-and-if-so-big-enough-to-tell-what-it-is/

I think in this case it is a rather nice one, showing signs of oriented flight like in some meteorites and tectites. The smooth side would have been leading.

Best Regards,

J

• I found this Informative 4

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

4 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

In your other thread pyroclastic bombs have been mentioned.

thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/101877-is-this-bone-and-if-so-big-enough-to-tell-what-it-is/

I think in this case it is a rather nice one, showing signs of oriented flight like in some meteorites and tectites. The smooth side would have been leading.

Best Regards,

J

Might be! Not a tilly bone. But your explanation fits what I'm looking at.

• I found this Informative 1

I cannot be sure, but that is my impression.

Is there known volcanic material in your region? Nowadays there is of course always the possibility of slag, but it looks like it flew, that seems to me to be a good sign.

and as for tilly bones I couldn´t say.

I have only ever found one fresh (still fishy) one while on holiday, never a fossil. They don´t occur where I live.

The one I have is quite solid, not like spongiosa at all.

Best regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

5 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

I cannot be sure, but that is my impression.

Is there known volcanic material in your region? Nowadays there is of course always the possibility of slag, but it looks like it flew, that seems to me to be a good sign.

and as for tilly bones I couldn´t say.

I have only ever found one fresh (still fishy) one while on holiday, never a fossil. They don´t occur where I live.

The one I have is quite solid, not like spongiosa at all.

Best regards,

J

I have many tilly bones, so confident this isn't one. But I don't know about whether volcanic material should be here. Gonna research that. I do still like your imagery of what might have happened :) Anyway, thanks for offering your thoughts!

I'm actually about 90% sure this is the posterior process off of a dolphin tympanic bulla (earbone) - a much more complete modern bottlenose dolphin for comparison. These things frequently break off of the rest of the bulla, and would approximate that shape/texture if waterworn a bit.

image.png.edd7a8f38174b72c6c50cc3613131562.png

• I found this Informative 4

20 hours ago, Boesse said:

I'm actually about 90% sure this is the posterior process off of a dolphin tympanic bulla (earbone) - a much more complete modern bottlenose dolphin for comparison. These things frequently break off of the rest of the bulla, and would approximate that shape/texture if waterworn a bit.

Very interesting, Boesse. I can see the similarities, especially if you break it off and erode it quite a bit.