Corolla NC Shrimp?

Katherinez

Corolla NC beach. I danced and jumped for joy, no regrets. Shrimp? Age? Anything you can figure out?  I am blown away, as we get crab pieces, coral and sea Robin skull plates .. but nothing like this in 30 years.

rsz_photo_2020-01-25_04-58-14_pm.jpg

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 3

Shrimp or lobster, I think. :) 

Great find! Congratulations.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very nice! Congrats! :envy:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

And the catch of the day is very nice.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Do you think this has something to do with the recent beach replenishment? I’ve heard lots of stories lately of finds on these usually devoid of fossils barrier islands...

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 4:40 AM, Ludwigia said:

Fantastic!! That's museum worthy. FotM! Are you going to get it prepped?

I have tried to contact a few folks... one in NY... one at Yale... no response.  Some great people at Kent State said they would prep it for me - so I believe it will go to them next week for a cleanup!  They haven't seen anything quite like it - I can't wait to find out more.

• I found this Informative 1

On 1/26/2020 at 6:38 AM, Al Dente said:

Very nice. It might be a mantis shrimp similar to Squilla.

52AB36F4-9556-4B94-928E-F4FD55A06796.jpeg

Very close, yes!

From Corolla it should be an extant species. Am thinking those outer banks concretions are Pleistocene to recent. It is a very remarkable specimen.

That is a beauty! I have a bunch of blue crab fossil pieces. My 84 year old mother found the most complete one we have a few weeks ago. But gosh a whole one... Beautiful.

I am glad that person had someone look at the crab. A whole one is an amazing find here!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I wanted to share the latest.  Kent State is cleaning it up for me!  Upon first look, it may be a stomatopod, possibly related to Squilla.  (Mantis shrimp)

I can't wait to see it prepped!

• I found this Informative 2

On 1/29/2020 at 12:59 PM, Katherinez said:

Very close, yes!

Update.... Kent State is cleaning it and they think the same thing!  You were right on the money!

• 2 years later...

I found this one eroding out of the James City mud today. Never seen anything like it. This is even more obviously a mantis shrimp- probably buried in its burrow and preserved in the anaerobic mud. 

2F851ED8-54F4-42D3-B919-6C85EE2250C9.jpeg

BDE277D1-55B6-48D3-AFFC-434C598927DF.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7