Winner of the 2019 Invertebrate/Plant Fossil Of The Year

digit

A truly outstanding fossil! Congratulations!

:yay-smiley-1:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Congratulations, Tim! :) 

Excellent find! 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very cool find. Most arachnids from the past we only see trapped in amber. This specimen is so much older and very interesting to see.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks all for the votes and congratulations! This critter getting awarded IPFOTY-2019 is a real honour. I'd also like to mention a few developments regarding this fossil. It is currently with Dr. Dunlop at the Museum für Naturkunde in Berlin for study. I can now say that the 'questionable epithet' above is wrong... The specimen is definitely not a trigonotarbid arachnid, but a true spider (Araneae) and the first known representative of this order from the Carboniferous of Germany.

• I found this Informative 12

Searching for green in the dark grey.

4 minutes ago, paleoflor said:

The specimen is definitely not a trigonotarbid arachnid, but a true spider (Araneae) and the first known representative of this order from the Carboniferous of Germany.

Well done!

:thumbsu: :yay-smiley-1:

Cheers.

-Ken

17 minutes ago, paleoflor said:

Thanks all for the votes and congratulations! This critter getting awarded IPFOTY-2019 is real honour. I'd also like to mention a few developments regarding this fossil. It is currently with Dr. Dunlop at the Museum für Naturkunde in Berlin for study. I can now say that the 'questionable epithet' above is wrong... The specimen is definitely not a trigonotarbid arachnid, but a true spider (Araneae) and the first known representative of this order from the Carboniferous of Germany.

Congratulations! You should also get a Paleo Partner award.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

31 minutes ago, paleoflor said:

Thanks all for the votes and congratulations! This critter getting awarded IPFOTY-2019 is real honour. I'd also like to mention a few developments regarding this fossil. It is currently with Dr. Dunlop at the Museum für Naturkunde in Berlin for study. I can now say that the 'questionable epithet' above is wrong... The specimen is definitely not a trigonotarbid arachnid, but a true spider (Araneae) and the first known representative of this order from the Carboniferous of Germany.

Icing on the cake

Congratulations on a wonderful find!

1 hour ago, paleoflor said:

Even better!

Congratulations on an excellent and important find! :yay-smiley-1: :yay-smiley-1:

Don

7 hours ago, paleoflor said:

All the more reason for hearty congratulations!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Congrats ! You need special conditions to allow a spider to fossilize !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Amazing!! Congratulations :D

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Congratulations and a spectacular specimen, it is good to see that is also worthy of study and being worked on.

Mike

Absolutely phenomenal find, congrats on this amazing discovery and well-deserved award! :yay-smiley-1:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils