Tucson Fossil Show 2020 Photos

Troodon

Unfortunately I've never made it out to the show but I've seen pictures from many, many years ago and the amount and variety of teeth were quite impressive. I guess those days are gone forever. Teeth from Mongolia were quite abundant and spectacular before the ban went into effect.

I don't know if I'll ever make it out to the show but if I ever do I'll definitely get in touch with you before I go. Thanks again for all the great pictures and information.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the awesome visual tour of this years show Troodon. Hoping to make it over some year soon. 

Like everyone has already said thank you for the Photo tour.   So from the Dinosaur side what was your overall impression of the show including accuracy of description and breath of material sold.

Thanks for all the positive feedback appreciate it and happy to give everyone a look at a pretty cool show.

1 hour ago, TyBoy said:

So from the Dinosaur side what was your overall impression of the show including accuracy of description and breath of material sold.

Overall I was somewhat disappointed with the show although I did wind up with some nice items.   The usual dealers were there but the variety/breath of items offered from North America or Europe was not great.    I saw very few Morrison or Hell Creek teeth offered for sale which was unusual there was actually more variety offered in private rooms that I had access to.   Even the Morrocan village did not have the usually variety of dino material to go through where you can find some very cool items.   But every year is different and one cannot go to the show with a shopping list you just have to be prepared for anything.  

You really need to know what you are buying and simply cannot trust any identification from any dealer or private seller.  I dont care how trusted they are or how many times you've purchased from them.   Almost all had some identification issues.    I spent time with several dealers at multiples venues pointing out discrepancies they had with their teeth and bones or helping them identify material while they were setting up.  All were very open to correcting any discrepancies I pointed out and all are very honest dealers.

• I found this Informative 7

15 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Overall I was somewhat disappointed with the show although I did wind up with some nice items.   The usual dealers were there but the variety/breath of items offered from North America or Europe was not great....Even the Moroccan village did not have the usually variety of dino material to go through where you can find some very cool items.   But every year is different and one cannot go to the show with a shopping list you just have to be prepared for anything.

I agree completely.  I had a great time and can't wait for next year's show but agree on the noticeably decreased quantity of dinosaur fossils available to purchase.  I also thought that there was a lot more very high end fossils (over $50k) this year which may be why there were fewer fossils for sale.  It seemed like many dealers had two or three large items at a high price to sell versus the 50 smaller items around $1000 or so. 

• I found this Informative 2

16 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thanks for all the positive feedback appreciate it and happy to give everyone a look at a pretty cool show.

Overall I was somewhat disappointed with the show although I did wind up with some nice items.   The usual dealers were there but the variety/breath of items offered from North America or Europe was not great.    I saw very few Morrison or Hell Creek teeth offered for sale which was unusual there was actually more variety offered in private rooms that I had access to.   Even the Morrocan village did not have the usually variety of dino material to go through where you can find some very cool items.   But every year is different and one cannot go to the show with a shopping list you just have to be prepared for anything.  

You really need to know what you are buying and simply cannot trust any identification from any dealer or private seller.  I dont care how trusted they are or how many times you've purchased from them.   Almost all had some identification issues.    I spent time with several dealers at multiples venues pointing out discrepancies they had with their teeth and bones or helping them identify material while they were setting up.  All were very open to correcting any discrepancies I pointed out and all are very honest dealers.

Hi Troodon,

In general dealers don't save specimens for Tucson like they used to.  They sell online or with a phone call.  Just from looking at this forum, you see a group of people looking for the same kinds of rare stuff.  It appears fewer people hunt the Morrison than they used to.  I would think there are fewer people scouting out there.  It's easier to go where others have gone recently even if the pickings get slimmer. 

In recent years I'm happy to find even just a couple of specimens and a cool book/publication.  In the 90's I used to bring home a couple of 3-inch flats worth of stuff and some publications. 

Jess

Oh so true @siteseer.  Although a lot of the Dinosaur dealers at the show do not have an online presence to maintain a steady stream of income they do sell throughout the year to high end collectors and online dealers who vigorously seek out inventory.  Also I believe with the growth internet sales, diggers have a much wider base of people they sell to that includes these online dealers and even direct to collectors.  Just a sign of the times.   Still enjoyed the show and there were still lots of goodies to buy. 

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, siteseer said:

......  It appears fewer people hunt the Morrison than they used to.  I would think there are fewer people scouting out there.  It's easier to go where others have gone recently even if the pickings get slimmer. .......

Its also much easier to get permission from people who have given access to their land in the past.  There are lots of people in the well known fossil areas who dont want to be bothered or have a giant production roll onto their land if something big does get found.  Case in point, a person who OWNED a known, historic producing quarry but couldn't get neighboring land owner approval to bring the needed equipment through their property.  It wasnt even their land being excavated, but they didnt want to SEE or hear any excavation being done within site of their home.  Can you imagine owning your own sauropod quarry of the Morrison and end up selling it because you cant do anything but sit and look at it?

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

53 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

Its also much easier to get permission from people who have given access to their land in the past.  There are lots of people in the well known fossil areas who dont want to be bothered or have a giant production roll onto their land if something big does get found.  Case in point, a person who OWNED a known, historic producing quarry but couldn't get neighboring land owner approval to bring the needed equipment through their property.  It wasnt even their land being excavated, but they didnt want to SEE or hear any excavation being done within site of their home.  Can you imagine owning your own sauropod quarry of the Morrison and end up selling it because you cant do anything but sit and look at it?

Wow, that's really a big piece of <BEEEP> ! Sitting on the treasure and cannot grab it.....

• 11 months later...
On 08/02/2020 at 10:34 PM, Troodon said:

A dealer selling a bunch of different dinosaur bones and polished one

20200206_113640.thumb.jpg.adeb21e4401497ed047d69cd3b8f58fe.jpg

20200206_113747.thumb.jpg.220590daa2a992b2da89b38a1413032d.jpg

20200206_113807.thumb.jpg.d4007dc77e4f047faae50b2c62cfea06.jpg

Kem Kem Material

Carcharodontosaurid Rooted Teeth

20200206_113138.thumb.jpg.bf4587ba1d3050f5e3a82a96cc8c27b3.jpg

20200206_113206.thumb.jpg.277e261481f11464516dd803af723526.jpg

Real JUMBO Spino Claws, they may have some repair no way to tell   

20200206_113256.thumb.jpg.1f865492f75323343ccf53aeb7c93152.jpg

20200206_113318.thumb.jpg.3438f6f3ccfa3ee97d3aa92a6bca7350.jpg

Don't think I posted a closeup of this by Vertebrae String from the Morrison, person at the table did not know which critter

20200206_113444.thumb.jpg.49868c3ee8bf88397d777f521c30b5c7.jpg

Doesnt these jumbo spino claw look dubious? the 9.5 inche especially...

13 minutes ago, akazaran said:

By dubious I mean: with a lot of retstauration/reconstruction... if not fake for some of them

Very possible would have to take a closer look.  I dont see fakes.

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 2/1/2020 at 3:10 AM, Troodon said:

At the Market Place Venue

From South Dakota a very rare Mosasaur

20200131_133710.thumb.jpg.f0cab8e04618b36726f646d97982efa1.jpg

From the Hell Creek Formation a rare Croc skull, Borealosuchus

20200131_133956.thumb.jpg.f4518b8242d2d76d36c6c79855381820.jpg20200131_134014.thumb.jpg.2b022ceeebd439c569b9e933e5d96a5f.jpg20200131_134045.thumb.jpg.7e39095fbbd9f9f8048561f6906b9308.jpg

Is that mososaur from the hell creek formation?

1 hour ago, Fossil Maniac said:

Is that mososaur from the hell creek formation?

No HC is a Terrestrial deposit.   Dont recall most likely the Pierre Shale

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

No HC is a Terrestrial deposit.   Dont recall most likely the Pierre Shale

still prety cool. Not alot of mososaur fossils from sotuh dakota montana wyoming area