ID Fossil for sale in antique shop

Sostman

Hi, I saw this in an antique store for sale. They are not sure what type it is and I have some ideas but not sure either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Not the best picture, it is about 1 foot long. Also thoughts on real or fake.

C8410B6C-5BF7-415F-BC6E-5D4BF6B482BC.jpeg

I'd probably pass on it. Hard to tell from the photos but most of these that are circulating on the US market are over prepped and have a fair bit of restoration and/or paint. If you can take better close up pictures then some of the experts on the forum could tell how much is genuine.

My club just purchased 2 of these and from what I can tell they looked fake. Unfortunately they were purchased from a current club member who I dont believe knows that these and some other fossils they were selling were fakes.  I didnt know about these transactions till after the fact. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Look on the famous auction site and get an idea of the $ amount these go for (bear in mind some you will see have problems, but sell anyway)

Compare the antique guy's price. Is it a deal?

Examine the piece in person with a 10X loupe or decent magnifying glass. You will be able to spot paint enhancement. Spotting "added" bone may take more practice then you may have, but look for sections that are "unlike" the rest.

Quiz the shopkeeper as to where they got the piece. The longer they have had it the better.

It looks fine to me; but that is the opinion of a stranger on the Internet and based on a single small picture.

Good luck, have fun.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See