Which would you chose?

Righteous

Which of these two would you pick? Both say some repair and restoration and I can see the repaired cracks and assuming the darker areas are the restored areas. I have no idea and the dark brown is on both unless it’s part of the glue and wondered if it would come off. 
FCED5-EE9-A260-4249-80-C6-37662454-D4-DF
428-B6-B6-B-D551-4241-BBA5-592-B9-A66866

I would suggest messaging the seller and asking if he can detail the amount of restoration on each piece. The first piece looks higher quality but that could be restoration talking. 

I ask him once and the repair was the breaks in the rock. I do remember him saying it was Minimal restoration. These are from a private collection. 

The dark brown areas look like mineral staining to me. If the restoration is minimal on both I'd go with the first one for sure

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Not sure I can tell much from the photos provided. .  Do you have sharper photos with some closups.

I might can post one. I had to post like that in order to show both

7DC5E18C-6AC8-4857-B99B-BB02E367A2ED.jpeg

Well I screwed up big time apparently somebody saw my post and grabbed them both :( I had added them to my cart but apparently that don’t hold them till you finish shopping. 

:/ I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Bit of a dart throw based on the pictures the seller has on his website. You can’t tell the level of restoration. It’s pretty standard for Hyphalosaurus fossils to be pieced back together, but there was likely a decent amount of bones painted on based on their price. Or compositing.

Don't feel too bad. 

They both look painted on, to me. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Well painted on or not the last one is mine now. I went back to the site and it was for sale again. I guess they never checked out with it. At the price it was listed at I thought it was fairly cheap compared to what others are going for. 

9 hours ago, Righteous said:

Well painted on or not the last one is mine now. I went back to the site and it was for sale again. I guess they never checked out with it. At the price it was listed at I thought it was fairly cheap compared to what others are going for. 

Please post well lit/focused  photos when you receive it. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Please post well lit/focused  photos when you receive it. 

Will do. 
I got a very nice email from the owner asking me about my order. Very nice man and on top of his business. I got a discount on it now also was price was really great. 

The photos are of such low resolution that I could not tell for sure the condition and authenticity of the Hyphalosaurus fossil.  The typical ones are usually of broken slabs and glued back (the matrix of the locality is brittle), some with restoration/painting/rearrangement of bones, but one could only tell for sure from the specimens in hand or with high resolution photos.  Yes, post the photos here once you receive it, and then we could tell something about it.

On 27/01/2020 at 12:52 PM, Righteous said:

Well I screwed up big time apparently somebody saw my post and grabbed them both :( I had added them to my cart but apparently that don’t hold them till you finish shopping. 

This is why I’m hesitant to post anything I’m interested in buying online - had the same thing happen. Interested in a rifle, posted it to get opinions, and a guy on the forum saw it and decided he liked it too and bought it before I did. 

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."