Buying from another Country

Abyss

I know most likely some of you have bought something from another country & have it shipped to yourself in the USA.

Any information would be appreciated.

I'm hoping to get tracking on the package & shipped by a main carrier.

My main question is - Customs.

I don't want it lost in limbo or taken away. Is there extra fees or a certain dollar amount that import personal items is not taxed ?

Just questions.

I have done a few trades with other members from overseas and have never had a problem getting my package. As far as extra fees or being taxed, it is usually when you ship to other countries they get charged a fee if items are worth over a certain amount. So when sending an item to someone across the pond, when I fill out customs I usually mark it as being worth under $10 dollars and state it is a specimen for educational purposes.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

It would probably depend on the country. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Well for the actual rules, look here: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/internet-purchases.

I have never had issues and have probably gotten over a hundred packages delivered from both Europe and Asia. None were ever over $200 and I never had to pay customs fees, although I am unsure if there is a hard number when fees start to be applied.

The only thing to be wary about is unscrupulous/dishonest sellers falsifying customs forms. Because you are the one who can get in trouble for this, even if you were unaware. I don't know anyone who has gotten in hot water over this but I'm sure it's happened. If a seller offers to lower the item price on a customs form, say no. Better to pay a fee than go to jail.

I've never had a problem except for one case. Only once when I sent a shipment of a turtle from Messel (Eocene) to my father-in-law in Baton Rouge, La. , he had to convince the Fish and Wildlife Agency that he does  not need any Cites certificates for the turtle.

• I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

3 hours ago, oilshale said:

I've never had a problem except for one case. Only once when I sent a shipment of a turtle from Messel (Eocene) to my father-in-law in Baton Rouge, La. , he had to convince the Fish and Wildlife Agency that he does  not need any Cites certificates for the turtle.

CITES ? For a FOSSIL ? Really ? :heartylaugh::default_rofl: