Mosasaur Jaw and Spinosaurus Tooth

Emaxwell90

Hello. It looks like the teeth have been added to your mosasaur jaw. Can you take some close up pictures of where the tooth connects to the jaw. It looks like matrix has been added to cover up that the teeth are not original.

The spinosaurid tooth looks good. It might have been glued, but I don't see signs of restoration. 

1580103684320.thumb.jpg.3763132fac2b0dedd1a204b6d39fc733.jpg.274be142e6ae93f5fd6f8e4598e3ebd4.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, Praefectus said:

Hello. It looks like the teeth have been added to your mosasaur jaw. Can you take some close up pictures of where the tooth connects to the jaw. It looks like matrix has been added to cover up that the teeth are not original.

The spinosaurid tooth looks good. It might have been glued, but I don't see signs of restoration. 

Does this mean the jaw or teeth are fake, or just that the teeth have been added to the jaw at a later point? Let me know if the photo is not adequate : )

IMG_20200127_165736.jpg

7 hours ago, Praefectus said:

1580103684320.thumb.jpg.3763132fac2b0dedd1a204b6d39fc733.jpg.274be142e6ae93f5fd6f8e4598e3ebd4.jpg

It also appears to have these little teeth like bits too

IMG_20200127_170819.jpg

IMG_20200127_170837.jpg

The jaw bone is real and the teeth are real, but they did not come from the same animal. The teeth were found separately and added to the jaw at a later time. The teeth are mosasaur teeth, Prognathodon sp. I'm not sure if the bone is a mosasaur jaw. It may have come from something else like a crocodile. 

Agree with Praefectus a common practice on matrix blocks from Morocco.  The little bits are replacement teeth they are real. The Bottom one is most likely real the two above cannot be certain if composited but real.

IMG_20200127_170819.thumb.jpg.4aaa3df186e88aaa519683e9a9a3f99c.jpg.0b62ab88296dc62a8e37c46a9a0bdea4.jpgIMG_20200127_170837.thumb.jpg.de0950d0a93fcc039d111b4745c6c884.jpg.cf49033acbeeb0eb4bdd812effefd67b.jpg

Can you post additional photos of the Spinosaurid tooth, cannot see all the sides.  

Evan as a composite, it has curb appeal! Much nicer than the typical productions shown on here.

As others have said this looks to be a composite jaw with the tooth caps added. It looks to be real bone. However, I think they may have added the teeth backwards. The replacement teeth should be coming in from behind the other teeth.

1 hour ago, Bguild said:

As others have said this looks to be a composite jaw with the tooth caps added.

@Praefectus @Troodon   Hello, I am trying to visualize the mechanics of the tooth replacement that is cited by you three respondents. Are you all seeing crowns glued on to donor roots; or rooted teeth (with replacements) inserted into an orphan jaw section?  Do you visualize the jaw fragment in situ, as dug or do you suspect it is not native to the matrix? Do you suspect the matrix to be constructed (composited sand) as in the horrid, neatly laid out jaws/teeth frequently seen? Thanks for any additional comments/insight. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

@jnoun11 Will you join the discussion requested above and comment on the piece in this topic. I am curious, if any techniques you know to be employed, are readily visible in the piece above and how best to detect them, i.e. what to look for. Thanks.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Hello @snolly50. The crowns were glued to donor roots. Look between the base of the crown and the top of the root. There is a layer of plaster that is a different color and texture than the surrounding tooth. That layer has been added to make the crown appear like it was originally attached to the root. I'm not sure if the matrix is original, but the area where the crowns have been inserted appears heavily modified. 

5e2f26b0b6cbe_1580103684320.thumb.jpg.3763132fac2b0dedd1a204b6d39fc733(1).jpg.fc8f20b20cb060639046bf5c0f185228.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, snolly50 said:

re you all seeing crowns glued on to donor roots; or rooted teeth (with replacements) inserted into an orphan jaw section

I'm seeing composite crowns, real roots like everyone has said but the small teeth that I circled could be real replacement teeth but its hard to say without some exploratory matrix removal.   

14 minutes ago, Troodon said:

composite crowns, real roots

4 hours ago, Praefectus said:

crowns were glued to donor roots

Thanks to you both for the additional comments. I was confused that folks were saying rooted teeth had been mounted into the jaw. The tooth root on the far left with its fractured replacement looks especially natural and in situ to me. In regard to the plastered on crowns, that's the type of mischief that could be easily revealed with a piece in hand. A needle probe into the plaster would quickly show its character. Unfortunately, many, if not most, buyers are dependent on photos. That is why the comments above on what to be leery of in a photo are so important. 

Years ago, on a whim, I purchased a large rooted tooth at a tourist shop on SC's coast. The tooth rested on a small block of matrix. I polished a bit of crud off the tooth with a pencil eraser, sticking it under the tap to rinse the eraser debris. Immediately, the piece gave off a strong odor of wet garden soil and softened in the damp area. Already suspicious I took it outside and turned the hose on it. Within seconds the "loaf-shaped" matrix dissolved away, leaving the gleaming white portion of the ersatz plaster root exposed. Apparently the artisan only stained the fake root after it was embedded in the formed matrix. I wish I had kept the plaster root for show. It was nicely textured and convincingly colored (well, at least 1/3 of it was). 

• I found this Informative 1

nothing else to said about this material, all fake, real bones real teeth but they didnt belong to each other. even the decidous teeth. only the decidous tooth on the picture 20200127 are real. easy to verify with a simple wash with acetone or hot water, because most of the fabrication is doing with elmers glue. the fuzzy look of the sediment aroud the teeth is also an indication about fake, the base of the crown with the uniform ligne is also a sign of fake.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

3 hours ago, jnoun11 said:

easy to verify with a simple wash with acetone or hot water, because most of the fabrication is doing with elmers glue. the fuzzy look of the sediment aroud the teeth is also an indication about fake, the base of the crown with the uniform ligne is also a sign of fake.

Thank you, very helpful.