tylergile

Good Afternoon all! I have found what appears to be a bone fossil. I would love some help if possible identifying it. It was found in Austin, TX in a stream bed. I did the lick test, and my tongue stuck to the porousness, (not that it is scientific, but I figured id add it, just something I read online). Along with the pictures of the potential bone, I also included a photo of all fossils I have found in the same area, coral, oysters and other random shells. All have been found on the surface, do digging, including the bone. The round stone is coral from the end Permian extinction, I know that much from my research, but the bone I am guessing is from around the time of the western interior seaway when this area opened up again. Hope I have provided enough information! 

IMG-1156.jpg

IMG-1157.jpg

IMG-1158.jpg

IMG-1159.jpg

IMG-1160.jpg

Edited by tylergile
added info

51 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I'm pretty sure it's not bone. It may be a sponge though.

Awesome, thank you!  I've attached a couple photos of a rock that I have had in a box since I was a little kid (born in California, raised in Washington, no family anywhere else, figured it might help with location info of maybe where it was found). Now that you have me googling "spounge fossils", I pulled this guy out, could this be a fossil as well? I always assumed it was some sort of cave thing, like a stalagmite/stalactite. The last photo, that I am looking at it with a different eye, looks kind of like a tiny coral branch in it.  Thank you again!

IMG-1173.jpg

IMG-1174.jpg

IMG-1175.jpg

IMG-1176.jpg

Edited by tylergile
added info relating to possible location

1 hour ago, tylergile said:

IMG-1157.jpg

It looks like an Ophiomorpha burrow trace fossil.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Just now, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

It looks like an Ophiomorpha burrow trace fossil.

Thank you! Also while I was googling, I learned that what I had thought was coral is actually a sea sponge, is there any way to tell the age of it? 

IMG-1115.jpg

IMG-1119.jpg

IMG-1120PNG.jpg

25 minutes ago, PSchleis said:

No idea what that is, but it looks really cool :)

I think it's Tufa like what accumulates around Mono Lake.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

49 minutes ago, tylergile said:

IMG-1119.jpg

You were right the first time; it is a coral. 

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain