Looking to ID this cool fossil find. What could it be?

HaidaGwaiiBeachFinds

These would be bivalve shells ( looks like clam ) in hardened matrix.

Where did we find this?

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Those are quite nice bivalves. :)

But we do need a better idea as to location. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

AHH! I think I know these! Littleneck clams Protothaca stayleyi. Are the fossils recent? The matrix is a lot like what I find my fossils in. 

L-13.jpg

This specimen comes from the Rio Dell Formation of Northern California. Pleistocene in age.

• I found this Informative 5

1 hour ago, HaidaGwaiiBeachFinds said:

@Spoons well preserved! Nice find you have.

I should specify that these specimens are not mine. They are actually part of my local Universities Natural History Museum. I apologize for being unclear. 

If you would like to see some of my collection just ask, although I’m not sure I have any Little Neck Clams though. 

On 1/27/2020 at 7:55 PM, Spoons said:

If  anyone else would like to take a peek at my local fossil fauna... here you go:http://www2.humboldt.edu/natmus/Case_indexes/LocalFossils/LocalFossils.html

Spoons,  Thanks for the link,  Interesting shells.  I noted that this fossil was "unidentified" ... Maybe a fossil ID opportunity.  Can you obtain additional photos of the teeth and a a rough approximation of size?

SpoonsJaw.JPG.d49fb4bdab4e3c01ca81e6f68d6abb14.JPG

Local Fossils Display Case Index—This display has been taken down but most of the specimens are now displayed in the large case ("Crab case") at the South-East corner of the Museum.

Thanks,  Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 1/30/2020 at 10:57 AM, Shellseeker said:

Spoons,  Thanks for the link,  Interesting shells.  I noted that this fossil was "unidentified" ... Maybe a fossil ID opportunity.  Can you obtain additional photos of the teeth and a a rough approximation of size?

SpoonsJaw.JPG.d49fb4bdab4e3c01ca81e6f68d6abb14.JPG

Thanks,  Jack

I’m not sure how easy it would be to obtain additional photos of this specimen. 

I do recall seeing a mold of this in person though. I’d say it’s about the size of the palm of your hand, and I do believe that this is a Sea Otter Jaw.

19 hours ago, Spoons said:

I’m not sure how easy it would be to obtain additional photos of this specimen. 

I do recall seeing a mold of this in person though. I’d say it’s about the size of the palm of your hand, and I do believe that this is a Sea Otter Jaw.

Thanks for the identification.  I was intrigued by the premolars, because I had not previously seen similar teeth... I guess these are the teeth that enable the opening of bivalves.

SeaOtterMaxilla.JPG.3b7b5db7d9c6c4f015f6a4fbe3c05c76.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"