What kind of fossil?

JayB

This is serendipitous, I've had this fossil from Haida Gwaii for 3 years and I just recently started looking into its origin, as in this week and now I stumble on this website and someone else just posted 17 minutes ago inquiring about an HG find. 

So I found this on the beach and also found one that looks like the one that Haida Gwaii Beach Finds was asking about. 

Any insight on species and approximate era would be much appreciated! 

IMG_20200112_132108.jpg

Edited by JayB
typos
  • I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, JayB said:

This is serendipitous, I've had this fossil from Haida Gwaii for 3 years and I just recently started looking into its origin, as in this week and now I stumble on this website and someone else just posted 17 minutes ago inquiring about an HG find. 

So I found this on the beach and also found one that looks like the one that Haida Gwaii Beach Finds was asking about. 

Any insight on species and approximate era would be much appreciated! 

IMG_20200112_132108.jpg

This is part of a whorl of an ammonite, Anagaudryceras sacya (Forbes, 1846), which occurs in the Haida Formation, of Cretaceous (Albian) age.

Don

• I found this Informative 6

Split from different topic, created new topic. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

With respect to Don's comments above, the item in the photo looks manmade to me...like some decorative stonework that was broken.  The grooves appear too consistent and show a bit of polish.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I agree with human-made. There are also quite a few popped bubbles that formed as the cement dried.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Cropped and brightened:

IMG_20200112_132108.thumb.jpg.e8538fd85fcaa2d7a935eb94a3c1f88a.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

looks like the pics of Anagaudryceras sacya that show up in a google search. You reckon those are bubbles or just pore spaces in the infill? Not saying either way by the way...

I feel uneasy about this. It does not appear to have been totally carved. It may have been made with a mold that left imperfections. See “crack” that crosses two grooves. The grooves in that area were not carved. 

Maybe @JayB can tell us what he thinks it is made of. Does it fizz in acid. Do you see clasts in it that might be consistent with concrete? Are those holes bubbles with rounded edges or more angular where clasts fell out or eroded away? What does the other side look like?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

First, I want to thank you all for your interest in this fossil and taking the time to consider and discuss its origin. I've had these for a few years and have always wondered what they were and how old they might be. My knowledge on paleontology and fossils is limited to a few chapters in a College biology class but I do recognize these in a rudimentary way from those lessons.

I can assure you these were found on a beach and I highly doubt any of them were cast by a person. I found all of these within an hour while I was taking my dog out for a morning walk on the beach. In fact there was more but these were the most stunning and I didn't want to be greedy. 

IMG_20200128_094902.jpg

IMG_20200128_094921.jpg

A steinkern of a coiled cephalopod seems probable after seeing that other ammonites have been found in the area.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

From Jones (1967) USGS Professional Paper 547.  The species is well known from the Haida Formation around Skidigate in the Queen Charlotte Islands/Haida Gwaii.

Don

Anagaudryceras sacya 2.jpg

Anagaudryceras sacya 4.jpg

Anagaudryceras sacya 3.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks again for all of your insights and leads. I'm looking forward to reading more about these species. 

Cheers, Jay