Tidgy's Dad

30 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I find this terribly sad.

Don't feel bad Adam, I'm still here. snolly: 2.3% Neanderthal, 2.2% Denisovan

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I prefer to see the Neanderthal fate as not an extinction but rather an incorporation into another (sub?) species - us.

20% of our combined DNA is Neanderthal?!! Wow.

13 minutes ago, grandpa said:

I prefer to see the Neanderthal fate as not an extinction but rather an incorporation into another (sub?) species - us.

I’ll go along with this. I’ve heard this before and I was really excited when I did. The Neanderthal live on in us! (  my wife thinks I may have more then the average amount of Neanderthal left in me :P) instead of a failed line it’s now continuing at least for a few more generations..

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, grandpa said:

I have heard that we as individuals can have 2-3 % Neanderthal DNA; it is not 20%. I think that the authors of the paper were trying to say that 20% of the Neanderthal DNA was transferred to us collectively. We each received only a small part of that 20%.

Quote from paper cited cited by OP in first post: 

“I discovered a few years ago that I have 2.5% Neanderthal DNA. There’s a lot of it out there – across thousands of individuals, researchers have identified a combined total of 20% Neanderthal DNA in modern humans today.”

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, snolly50 said:

Don't feel bad Adam, I'm still here. snolly: 2.3% Neanderthal, 2.2% Denisovan

Where did your Denisovan come from? Do have records of relatives from east Asia, Australia or the south Pacific?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

9 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Where did your Denisovan come from?

I participated in the Genographic Project, Geno 2.0 sponsored by National Geographic. My DNA sample was sequenced and compared. I expected the Neanderthal contribution; but was surprised by the Denisovan presence. The ancestry known to me in "modern" times was Irish paternal line and Moravian maternal line. The Geno 2.0 report cites my "Regional Ancestry" (5,000 - 10,000 years ago) - Northern European 42%, Mediterranean 39%, Southwest Asian 18%. The results found my haplogroup most closely allied with the current indigenous population of Ireland. This of course was not surprising, given my known family origins. Again seeing a affinity with the hominin, Neanderthal was not unexpected given the European family links. As I said, the mysterious Denisovan contribution was not anticipated. Apparently, folks of my ilk wandered a bit and were "friendly." When I commented to my wife that I was not 100% Homo sapiens, i.e. not quite human; she unkindly remarked, "That explains a lot!"  

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I rather think I'm 2% tortoise, 4% camel and probably 20% orthid brachiopod. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png