Nanuqsaurus Tyrannosaur clade/group

dinosaur man

Hi, Since the group Daspletosaurini has just be established. Wouldn’t Nanuqsaurus be part of it, it is known as a Tyrannosaurinae but since the clade/group Daspletosaurini has been established wouldn’t it be a Daspletosaurini? Since it shares some features with the Daspletosaurini.

The paper that describes the Daspletosaurini states that it includes all taxa closer related to Daspletosaurus torosus than to Albertosaurus sarcophagus, Alioramus remotus, Teratophoneus curriei and Tyrannosaurus rex. I haven't read any papers on Nanuqsaurus hoglundi and they are not easy to find, but an older topic here on TFF revealed that it is closely related to Tyrannosaurus rex and Tarbosaurus bataar. If this is indeed correct then it probably does not belong in the Daspletosaurini.

Since Daspletosaurini are inside the Tyrannosaurinae, they will always share some features.

• I found this Informative 1

I leave cladistics to paleontologists who can look at all the characteristics and make informed decisions.  Not a lot of material has been found regarding Nanuqsaurus so classification can change with new discoveries or research.  This is also one of the smallest Tyrannosaurids by far in North America.

• I found this Informative 1