Another Venice Beach Fossil ID

SarahG

This is another find that has me stumped from my last trip to Venice Beach, FL. It’s two twisted strands, approximately 1” long. 

029F6A18-BA3B-4B76-A520-229C5EF1F600.jpeg

Ah, you found my black licorice. :P

That's a pretty wild looking piece. I too am scratching my head as to what that might be. Florida fossils don't spend enough time in the ground to be subjected to any tectonic forces that might stretch, bend, twist an object. 

Photos from a few different angles and as close as you can get while still maintaining focus might be helpful. Try taking some photos outside in bright light. The extra light can help the camera focus and may bring out some surface details that could provide a clue.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks, Ken!

So after reading your comment, and on a hunch, I put a magnet on it - turns out, it is in fact magnetic. So this one appears to be man made. Off a ship maybe? 

Always good to remove other possibilities before focusing in assuming it is a fossil. ;) Could have been a segment of twisted wire but wire tends to be copper (or rarely other metals) but never iron (not flexible). The other thought would be a clipping of something like a piece of barbed wire (without barbs on this piece). That would be steel (and magnetic) but it seems to be thicker than any barbed wire I've ever encountered.

I tend to find lots of interesting "artifacts" while fossil hunting but most of them tend to be broken glass and beer cans or parts thereof. Beach hunting always tends to reveal lots of the plastic that now chokes our oceans. Now that we know this is a metallic object, we'll see if any others here can suggest a possible identity for your not-fossil. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Another Venice Beach Fossil ID