Show us Your Most Dynamic Fossils

Huntonia

The desirableness of a fossil is determined by many things, rarity, quality etc. but I personally am very drawn to fossils with unique or dynamic poses. The kind of fossil that grabs your eyes from across the room. So now I'm asking you to show us your critters that made sure to strike a pose before they got fossiled! 

I'll start this off with my humble paralejurus. The pose isn't particularly dynamic in it of itself but between the curled posture, the dark colors and the addition of some nice lighting the bug looks like it's concocting a diabolical plan! (twirling its mustache perhaps?) 

20200129_162832.thumb.jpg.3162bb0a85f2fba0d15fb1752a6e3a17.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

These critters, Laoporus, danced so quickly across the Permian sands, they left only tracks. Their agile steps now frozen in stone, nonetheless still evoke a sense of  movement to my eye. 

coconino2.jpg.fb170c3bd6458f8489c301dc11112e0b.jpg

coconino1.jpg.2710770e3400b3554ad64c0fd28da026.jpg

• I found this Informative 18

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 hour ago, snolly50 said:

These critters, Laoporus, danced so quickly across the Permian sands, they left only tracks. Their agile steps now frozen in stone, nonetheless still evoke a sense of  movement to my eye. 

A fantastic piece and an excellent start to the thread! I look forward to seeing more pieces from other forum members!

7 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

It would be hard to beat that trackway!

Challenge accepted!

Here is another Coconino slab. This is perhaps the favorite fossil that I possess. It is another trackway, except on this one, close scrutiny will reveal the presence of smaller, immature Laoporus. Of course there is no way to establish with certainty, if the large and small tracks were laid down at the same time. I, however, choose to believe it is a Mom leading her young ones across the dunes; teaching them which prey are delicious and which to avoid. This trackway was recovered in two slabs. The discoverer sold the other half to a "museum" in Australia. I very much wish I had that section as well.

coconino3.jpg.bc1b8fcf498c99c294f193e0f440442d.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Amazing fossils! so far I will post mine later, after school.

I don’t think I would call any of my fossil dynamic sadly but this block has some really interesting associations. Xipheroceras multi-block are two words not usually associated together combined with a small piece of driftwood and a Belemnite phragmacone . All the ammonites are preserved in solid calcite which in contrast with the wood makes a very aesthetic fossil. Many hours has gone into this specimen.

Approximately 200 milliion years. 

Jurassic, Lower Lias, Obtusum Zone , Black Ven, Lyme Regis, Dorset, UK

CE824936-4D38-4FEF-A9A9-FA30E23633AE.jpeg

0A5FECB2-0B28-41C8-8DCA-794B5E2DEE6C.jpeg

B667B48B-2F94-4366-9FCE-D898566282E6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 8

I have been loving the replies on this topic! I never object to seeing Kermit pop up again ;) and @Ruger9a, that piece is incredible!

I'm not sure what exactly it is but my Redlichia Mansuyi has always had such a simple elegance to my eyes. The way it's framed perfectly in the matrix, the little spines sprawling off in every direction I can just picture it gliding gracefully through the prehistoric ocean.

20200130_173507.thumb.jpg.af275183db8f1400b8dacd01177fdc81.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

16 hours ago, Righteous said:

I would like to think this attenosaurus subulensis 

was shuffling along to the tune of sweet home Alabama

16 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Challenge accepted!

Here is another Coconino slab. This is perhaps the favorite fossil that I possess. It is another trackway, except on this one, close scrutiny will reveal the presence of smaller, immature Laoporus. Of course there is no way to establish with certainty, if the large and small tracks were laid down at the same time. I, however, choose to believe it is a Mom leading her young ones across the dunes; teaching them which prey are delicious and which to avoid. This trackway was recovered in two slabs. The discoverer sold the other half to a "museum" in Australia. I very much wish I had that section as well.

You guys have some enviable tracks there. My vague example from the Sangre de Cristo can't hold a candle to them.

It is always a shame when a fossil or association has to be split up to maximize sales. A guy did that with a rare ophiuroid 'colony' he found up here some years ago. But you've still got a nice piece.

8 hours ago, Huntonia said:

I have been loving the replies on this topic! I never object to seeing Kermit pop up again ;) and @Ruger9a, that piece is incredible!

I'm not sure what exactly it is but my Redlichia Mansuyi has always had such a simple elegance to my eyes. The way it's framed perfectly in the matrix, the little spines sprawling off in every direction I can just picture it gliding gracefully through the prehistoric ocean.

It's an Oreodont skull (partial) from the Badlands of South Dakota.  It's a herbivore so it wasn't eating the item in it's mouth.  The bones ended up "clustered" that way as a result of a flood or other natural disaster.  I thought it was a neat conversation piece when I finished prepping it and it is dramatic - so it did seem to meet your topic requirements.  

• I found this Informative 1

Here’s one of mine, a unknown Trilobite incased in matrix. Looks like it trying to avoid something!

A907E5DF-9E65-4E5E-92C2-05EB6464ACB2.jpeg

16 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

Here’s one of mine, a unknown Trilobite incased in matrix. Looks like it trying to avoid something!

A907E5DF-9E65-4E5E-92C2-05EB6464ACB2.jpeg

Not an unknown trilobite. Likely a Gerastos sp. (possibly G. tuberculatus marocensis), a Devonian proetid from Morocco. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

Not an unknown trilobite. Likely a Gerastos sp. (possibly G. tuberculatus marocensis), a Devonian proetid from Morocco. 

Thank you! I got it a while ago and had no information on it! The seller didn’t give the information!

On 1/30/2020 at 11:00 PM, Wrangellian said:

You guys have some enviable tracks there. My vague example from the Sangre de Cristo can't hold a candle to them.

It is always a shame when a fossil or association has to be split up to maximize sales. A guy did that with a rare ophiuroid 'colony' he found up here some years ago. But you've still got a nice piece.

It's not always the dealer's idea.  It is not uncommon for a buyer to ask for a price on half of a split pair.  Some dealers will do it.  I'm with you and Snolly50.  I want the pair.  It always makes a cool display.

Jess

Yes, I've heard of that - one seller told me he couldn't sell the pair, so he sells each half separately, but that tells me he's just asking too much for it. My suspicion is that, a pair that should be worth say $50, the seller tries to sell at $100, and then it doesn't sell, so he lists them separately at $50 or more per half, and some sucker or suckers eventually come along and buy them (maybe assuming the other half was lost or never found in the first place) and he's made his $100(+).

But what's worse is, with the case I described above, it was not just a split pair situation, but a big plate with a 'congregation' of ophiuroids on it, and the guy broke or sliced it up so that he could sell many pieces with one or a few ophiuroids on each! What a travesty. I think this is one case that has led to the current laws in B.C. that say you can't sell B.C. fossils because you don't own them.

• 3 months later...

Today I'm resurrecting this thread because I've received a new purchase which was much more interesting than I expected. A nice Calymene Breviceps curled up underneath the damaged cephalon of what would have been a large dalmanites! I believe this is just an interesting coincidence but maybe this has something to do with some sort of behavioral pattern in trilobites? Perhaps @piranha would know.

20200601_165818.thumb.jpg.02a0872cbf49c26eb6d6e244479370dd.jpg20200601_165756.thumb.jpg.fc872b9190e7c5f868a0c10e5d81e671.jpg20200601_165807.thumb.jpg.824f346ddcc4e0cd5efc7af0418ae792.jpg

• I found this Informative 1