Trilobite fossil

Brady Williams

My great aunt gave this to me years ago, and I would like to know if it is real. I know there are tons of fakes, and would like to see if mine is real. :zzzzscratchchin:5e3386e47acba_image0(7).thumb.jpg.1e2b807cc13f3ae435a50223d875d148.jpg

image2 (1).jpg

Both real and quite nice at that, they may have some restoration but I doubt anything too extensive. The detail is finer than one would see in your typical cast, both appear to have some minor damage, again something you wouldn't see on a fake. And as a cherry on top the smaller one appears to have a little bit of matrix still clinging to its thorax, something you definately wouldn't see on a fake.

Do you have any locality/species info, I don't think these are of any species I'm currently aware of?

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

Both real and quite nice at that, they may have some restoration but I doubt anything too extensive. The detail is finer than one would see in your typical cast, both appear to have some minor damage, again something you wouldn't see on a fake. And as a cherry on top the smaller one appears to have a little bit of matrix still clinging to its thorax, something you definately wouldn't see on a fake.

Do you have any locality/species info, I don't think these are of any species I'm currently aware of?

Sorry, I don't. It was from a relative that has long since passed away. 

1 minute ago, Brady Williams said:

Sorry, I don't. It was from a relative that has long since passed away. 

In that case I would recommend posting it in fossil ID for some of the more experienced trilobite collectors to take a look at, I for one would love to know what these bugs are.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

38 minutes ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

Piranha positively ID this one as Norinia Convexa a little while ago, he's as fast on his toes as he is knowledgeable.