Pachyrhizodus Found-Thanks

Righteous

I’m going to see about picking up another fossil from a nice gentleman I dealed with the other night.  He Has what looks like the lower jaw to a fish with narrow pointed teeth. It’s slightly curved and in 3 pieces. Two of the pieces match one does not.  Piece only about 6-7” long and teeth about 14”-1/2” tall. Won’t have it in hand till later tonight. Here’s what I need help with, he couldn’t spell the name but could pronounce it  it started with PYU payu sounded like packacu something or another. Any idea what fish it could be? Not much to go on but would recognize it if I saw the spelling and the fish.  

This is another Alabama find if I’m not mistaken. I know this is not much to go on but I don’t have the info myself yet 

Hi Righteous,

Here is an alphabetic list of Alabama fossil species:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_prehistoric_life_of_Alabama,

I´d say Ptychodus but that doesn´t fit the description.

Have a go yourself.

Best regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

16 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Pachyrhizodus? 

I believe this is it. Looking at some jaw bones from this look like a match 

Well it’s in my hands and it’s mine all mine and you can’t have it.  Feeling I’ll get some pics tomorrow. Got a couple more Alabama things also besides this. 

I found where it list 12 of these that have been found in Alabama. First one in 1948 and last one in 2019. He said he found it near burkville  

In 1953 one was found at the Burkville localityLate Santonian/Early Campanian - Alabama.