GallinaPinta

So I found this intriguing wee little fossil, and have no idea what it could be. Any guesses will be apreciated. Found in the san sebastian formation.

IMG-20200131-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20200131-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20200131-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20200131-WA0009.jpg

I’m no where near even an amateur, but it seems like the hollow lines might have been the original plant/ horn coral/ baby squid looking thing (seriously, look at your squid emoji), Speciman which would make the leftover material as the cast  when it decomposed? Cast might not be the right term think building a sand castle as an example.  Someone much better qualified will be here soon to give you a more confident answer.  But I know it can be frustrating waiting for acknowledgement.  (Note to moderator: WOW it’s an ego hit when you see 50 views and no answer) lol I’d rather believe no one is paying attention:unsure:  Some advice though, just to help us help you, we don’t know the size of your hand or phone(?) try using a school ruler or something that is the same size worldwide

(because that’s who is looking) If one isn’t available, type out the dimensions in metric and get the sharpest, most defined, well lit picture you can zoom in on and from up top. Maybe play with the different filters. Hey, a few pictures isn’t a bad thing.  Hope this helps!

• I found this Informative 1

To me it looks like a clam that burrowed into sediment and died and was eventually exposed and partially eroded through.

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I'll go along with this. Part of a chela perhaps.

Awww that had crossed my mind, but I’m not really familiar... Out of curiosity (from someone who lives in an area without crab fossils) what gives it away as crab? The little bumps?

Could it be a star fish? I honestly dont think its a crab cause i found a few crab claw bits and it doesnt look like that. The little "pores" on the fossil makes me think it was something squishy. Pardon my uninformed guess lol. Also the wallet I used for referance is a standard 5 inch wallet, if that helps. I sadly don't have a ruler anymore since it snapped into pieces. I can ask my neighbor for one though. 

I keep finding cool stuff around and sadly looking around for info on fossils of my area is no easy task. Only referance to fossils in my area was an article called "middle tertiary echinoids from puerto rico" and i got access to it thanks to a cool member from here. That article helped me a lot

I really really hope we get to figure out this one, since i never found something like this and I'd love to find out what it is

hi GallinaPinta,

I am far from knowing whaT that is, but echinoderm doesn´t sound so bad.

From an image search for example Astropectinidae do have little bumpy ossicles like the ones on your fossil.

I don´t  say that I can ID the fossil, just that there are starfish with at least similar features.

Could be a steinkern with some ossicles still attached?

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

15 hours ago, Pbassham said:

But I know it can be frustrating waiting for acknowledgement.  (Note to moderator: WOW it’s an ego hit when you see 50 views and no answer) lol I’d rather believe no one is paying attention

You don't have to be a forum member to view posts on this forum. Those who are not members cannot post replies. Are views per post those of members only, or all viewers?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

The problem, I think, is the time that I find to post.  It’s usually very late.  Everyone is polite and really helpful.  I made a joke, a poor one at that. Also, I apologize for the over use of humor to hide lack of confidence in my own knowledge. It’s much easier to be the humble forever student than it is to take the risk of teaching someone else.

How about the internal cast of a crab claw inwhich that outer "shell" in the rock thats wearing away is the outer portion of the claw. :zzzzscratchchin:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

I wasn’t joking about the squid emoji, I wish I could show you but try the poster from Franz Katz. A party pack of Cephalopods!96BE7861-CEC0-42BF-A2BE-62734D40A000.thumb.jpeg.9d53a5f558e1859e2a46a71fa84b0cb8.jpeg 

• I found this Informative 2

31 minutes ago, caldigger said:

How about the internal cast of a crab claw inwhich that outer "shell" in the rock thats wearing away is the outer portion of the claw. :zzzzscratchchin:

I found a crab claw bit in the exact same location, which may be of referance. 

IMG-20200201-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20200201-WA0011.jpg

I like your explanation and it looks good, (not to mention when you’re at Red Lobster you sometimes wonder if your crab had chicken pox or something when you see those white dots) Sorry it took me a while and I still didn’t post the other picture... I got sidetracked looking at the difference between cast mold fiber and all the other fossils it’s kind a like seeing faces in the clouds I guess. But your pictures remind me of steamed crab when you get lucky and pull 1 piece out no tiny shell pieces.  In the second on here, like if you dissolved it yours would be on the inside. 1 question does your explanation explain the little teeth like structures? It kind of resembles the sharp things on the outside to me but I’m just casting lines. I really do like you answer

81CFE95F-B1F4-43DA-ACCB-78410672A5AF.thumb.jpeg.98adb4c20f3459d23f5e478751b38322.jpeg  FC82A1F7-DC30-41CA-9598-7CD6E8AEAE67.png

On 1/31/2020 at 9:40 PM, GallinaPinta said:

So I found this intriguing wee little fossil, and have no idea what it could be. Any guesses will be apreciated. Found in the san sebastian formation.

You're photos are excellent.

I am NO expert, but I found a couple of intriguing photos on the Internet.

Here's one of something identified as "Ophidiaster ophidiamus starfish"

image.png.b83e7ccc96e0f391c7d935569ebfea8e.png

And here is something called "Astropecten vappa"

starfish2.JPG.8f439cb6e42cc88829ef9dead1964e0b.JPG

And here's the photo of another starfish, though it was a generic picture and not identified:

starfish3.JPG.a3ec930f89d1d1fb3329d32e10c0b6cb.JPG

All of this is to say that - while I have no idea what I'm talking about - I wouldn't give up on the idea that you have a piece of starfish there, if you could identify the right kind.

Personally I think caldigger hit it on the head. I’m in the internal crab claw cast camp. But the only way to be positive would be to prep it out some more and see if that really is crab claw shell around the sides.

• I Agree 2

lol I’m gonna keep following this post, always more to learn. Hope you prep it/have someone else prep it so we can figure this out more easily.

• 1 year later...